• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local Test Bed Wanted for Valvebody prototype

child9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, after some discussion with O-Gauge regarding the benefits of a local test vehicle, I've decided to reach out and actually *gasp* try to get involved with my local chapter. I want to initiate this by finding a local Jeep that we can instrument, pull on a dyno, then install a performance modified valvebody and pull again. The valve body will be offered across the web and on our current site www.fringexvo.com.

I live in N. Austin and can access a dyno up here, so all I require is:

1. An well maintained automatic MJ/XJ or anything with an AW4, honestly.
2. Trans must be current on fluid changes and be fine with two more in
quick succession.
3. Must be a NAXJA member.
4. Member must have a little time to donate.

I will provide the performance modified valve body to the test bed vehicle for a significant discount. Discount will be directly proportional to the amount of work/help I feel the volunteer actually does during the process.

The sooner this gets done, the sooner these valve bodies will be available to all. Thanks!

I'd *love* to do this but I don't think my jeep falls under the well maintained category.

Honestly the transmission being able to change fluids readily is all that is meant by well maintained, ha. That and the vehicle needs to be safe to operate on a dyno.

Damn, I'm just too far away. being able to change fluids readily means it's got to have a bung installed in the pan? Is that what you mean? Also, would the tester be incuring the fluid change cost?

Gains with the Level 1 vb I am expecting are:

- 50% Increased Torque Capacity
- 44-77% Quicker Shifts (varies by gear)
- Increased Clutch Life
- Increased RWHP (increased overall efficiency should result in less drive train power
loss)

Last edited:
Gains with the Level 1 vb I am expecting are:

- 50% Increased Torque Capacity
- 44-77% Quicker Shifts (varies by gear)
- Increased Clutch Life
- Increased RWHP (increased overall efficiency should result in less drive train power
loss)
Hope that works out- wish I could be your volunteer, but living down in San Antonio, I just couldn't get the time off... good luck to you. What year is it gonna be for?

How close do I need to be for "local"? I will be moving to FT Polk, LA mid Feb which is 6 hours away from you.

I put a surplus AW4 in my Jeep at 167,999 miles and I currently read 171,882. Add a few for 31s without my speedo calibrated.

Uncle Sugar gives me plenty of four day weekends for silly reasons so a trip out your way wouldn't be anything. As long as testing didn't require you guys to live in my garage or breed gremlins in my engine bay.

Just don't blow up my brand new AW4 with your crazy techno magic!!!

Oh yeah I have a 95...

well maintained jeep

LOL, Good one!!!!

Frankly, I don;t see how or why anyone would bother trying to improve the AW4.

Mike,
As I'm sure you know, a variant of the aw4 is in certain imports; imports that the OP just might happen to tune as a day job.

I just don't see any point in messing with the one part on my jeeps that does not break down all the time, LOL.:laugh3:

Testing should go something like this:

1. Instrument vehicle. We need to pick up tach, possibly vehicle speed, and install trans temp sensor and trans pressure sensor, and make sure everything is being picked up in the data logger and netbook.

2. Strap Jeep down and make 2 pulls through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. May do one clean 3rd gear pull for a straight power number.

3. Take Jeep off dyno, put on a lift and swap valve bodies. Refill, get temps back to normal operating temp, put back on dyno.

4. Repeat step 2.

5. Test vehicle will have option to keep the valve body and leave, or stay and go get some hot wings or something. Leave at owner's leisure. :)

6. Graphing and data comparison will begin...once data is analyzed and made graphically "sexy", it will be posted to forum.

That's a rough outline of the plan, anyway. I expect the test vehicle owner to be kinda fluid with the process.

I am in the process of acquiring the final odds and ends required for proper instrumentation of the vehicle, and expect to have the last of the sensors/fittings by Monday.

Oh hey, FYI I am not a vehicle engine tuner. :) I design, build, and modify systems. I learn the math. I've worked as an instrumentation technician, SCADA Technician, and fabricator. I design and utilize 3D CAD (Solidworks). I've built forced induction systems and designed various exhaust components. I currently am in school for a BSME, because it's what I already do. I'm starting a new company, building 2 vehicles, and working a second part-time job.
I do NOT work for Boost Logic anymore, as the current owner and I have ethical conflicts that I can no longer tolerate.

Everything I know about performance modifications to the AW4 were figured out by my going to class for automatic transmissions, rebuilding an AW4, and being mentored by the guru that actually builds the BL auto (3rd party). These souped up valve bodies are indirectly coming from the source. The source doesn't even have data or numbers, just track tested experience with MANY different auto transmissions. I am going a step further to obtain actual data.

Just thought I should clear that up, since things have changed since some of my threads have started. I do not claim to be something I'm not. I feel obligated to correct misinformation when I see it.

THAT SAID, Deftwillp your trust in me is NOT misplaced. :) Thank you for the kind words and support!

@Ecomike: Don't do anything you aren't reasonably comfortable with. :)

Last edited:
Well, my rig's hat is still in the ring if needed and meets the requirements per the PM I sent you.

About how much would that valve body cost anyways? Looking at things, I may actually be able to help out, I'd just rent a motel room for a night or two, I'm down here in San Antonio.

keep me in the loop. I am looking at the Trans-Go kit but I like to keep all avenues open. My jeep is almost movable once i get the turbo oil pressure and drain done.That is after i am done moving!

Dave B
c850-261-5212

Back