• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine Light (the amber motor light)

rjstiles

NAXJA Forum User
Help, I got an indicator light on the dash that is amber and looks like an engine. I went to O'Reilly's and they loaned me a computer that hooled up under the dash. The error code said something about Evaporative/ Emmissions (massive leak). I reset the light and went into the shop and asked for the parts to fix it. They could not find anything in their computer to fix the issue.
Does anyone have any input?
My XJ is 6cyl 4.0 automatic/ A/C Sport. It has about 197,000 and is runnibg very smooth.
Thanks for your help
Ron

Help, I got an indicator light on the dash that is amber and looks like an engine. I went to O'Reilly's and they loaned me a computer that hooled up under the dash. The error code said something about Evaporative/ Emmissions (massive leak). I reset the light and went into the shop and asked for the parts to fix it. They could not find anything in their computer to fix the issue.
Does anyone have any input?
My XJ is 6cyl 4.0 automatic/ A/C Sport. It has about 197,000 and is runnibg very smooth.
Thanks for your help
Ron
Yes, you will need to take it to a reputable shop & have the EVAP system smoked to find the leak.

Is that part of the A/C system?
No, it is part of the emission system, it vents fuel vapors back to the tank. Plus works with some vacumn lines also. Also crankcase vapors.

Make sure the gas cap's tight and sealing properly - loose gas cap has caused a few CELs...

just remember, the computer cannot tell you what is broken, only what sensor picked up that there might be a problem.

you can't take an ODBII code and say definitively "X is broken" it simply gets you in the neighborhood for troubleshooting.

x2 for what Rob said....I'd check the gas cap. I've had this happen before with other cars and its almost always the gas cap not being put on correctly.

I just realized that I just put one of those locking gas caps on last week. It is a Standt and it showed to be for my model but.....
I may just keep it on when I don't use the Jeep and switch it out when I will be driving.

Thanks for the input!

Back