• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$500 99 cherokee with lots of electrical issues, help if you can.

Submariner

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I got this 2 dr 4.0 xj for $500. A Steal right. Hmmmm Maybe after the problems are solved.

No check engine lights, but once and it went away. P1391

1st problem
it dies, drive down the road and it shut down or studders. starts back up. Runs smooth. full tank gas. battery charged. sitting in driveway starts up, run for a few minutes, shut down. turn the key of and might start right backup or just turns over.

Not sure on this one.

2nd problem
heater blower does not run. checked the fuses, good but it will not turn over.

3rd problem
Wipers will not work, washer works. checked fuses/good

4th problem
Radio lights up changes channels but no tunes. speakers hooked up antena plug in. NO noise what ever so.

I am playing with this. I would like to get her up and running. amke her go down the highway.

Any suggestion would be helpfull

Thanks

if you get heater fan working on high only it is the rheostat if no fan at any speed i would suspect the blower motor, fuse or wiring

some radios will not emit sound without a signal, is it factory radio?

1 does sound like a crankshaft sensor, do a search here, there is a way to test them using a multimeter, if it tests bad find a mopar replacement, chinesium replacements are a crap shoot.

so here is some help with my questions.
#1- I will check the crank position sensor. I thought that if that went it would not start at all.

#2 -no fan on any selection
#3- will check the switch first
#4- stock radio, volume was up and down, tried am, fm, pulled radio made sure antena was plugged in, checked speakers in doors to see if they were plugged in.

I had 2 CPS's go on me -- both times they presented with the exact same symptoms -- 1st time it happened I did nothing for a few days and then it did finally quit totally -- I had a spare used one that I put in and cured it for a few months -- When that one started showing the same symptoms I didn't wait and swapped it out with a new mopar unit and all is well

If you have no fan at all you might want to start looking for burnt wires -- Most likely at the rheostat connector -- Should be located behind the glove compartment on a 99 -- once confirming power at the switch you'll need to go to the rheostat anyway for diagnostics

Agreed those symptoms are typical of failing crank sensor. The first check I'd do on the blower motor is turn switch to high and test for power and ground AT the blower motor. If you have both ( and check with a test light) then blower motor is bad. If missing one start working your way back. You can do this with the wiper motor too but you'll need a wiring diagram to check the inputs.

I wouldn't be surprised if that radio is just dead. Grab one from the junkyard or go get an aftermarket one.

Sounds like crank sensor. But it should throw it's own code

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The electrical connector for the blower on my '92 is under the hood, up by the firewall on the passenger side; assuming it didn't move in the later models, you could try unplugging it from the harness and jumping it straight to the battery for a moment to see if the problem's the motor itself or somewhere upstream (vehicle harness, etc.)

Mine started seizing up a year ago (same time as a resistor pack blowout). In my case it still ran, but made a lot of groaning when turned off as it spun down, but didn't cook any wiring.

Any chance rodents got into and chewed up some of the wires?

replaced the crank sensor and she runs good now.

But I can not get the ac/heater fan to work. changed the resistor, change the fan switch, change the vacuum switch, tested the fan motor. to no avail. still don't work

any ideas on what else to do?

replaced the crank sensor and she runs good now.

But I can not get the ac/heater fan to work. changed the resistor, change the fan switch, change the vacuum switch, tested the fan motor. to no avail. still don't work

any ideas on what else to do?

Did you test for power at the fan switch and both power and ground at the motor? Seems like you're shotgunning parts at this without finding the problem.

And don’t only test with a voltmeter — a broken wire with just 1 tiny strand still connected will show a full 12 volts — that same broken wire won’t be able to carry any amps to actually do the work

Use of a test light helps in finding partially broken wires, the light will glow dimly on a frayed or partially broken wire instead of full bright as with a good wire

Did you test for power at the fan switch and both power and ground at the motor? Seems like you're shotgunning parts at this without finding the problem.

OK, the on/off switch for the Fan is a vacuum switch that also does the a/c side and the heating side.

Where does the vacuum line meet/make the change to electrical and turn the fan on?

OK, the on/off switch for the Fan is a vacuum switch that also does the a/c side and the heating side.

Um, no that rotary knob on the dash is an electrical switch. The connector on the left is the power wires that go to the blower motor resistor pack.

Backof99ClimateControlPanel-1.jpg

I'd start by for power at the blower motor. If no power there or it only works on high, then locate and check the resistor pack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asVxJlUjuFk

Back