• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ engine RPM increase in conjunction with check engine light.

Craigabooey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i am driving my 97 XJ, 4.0 with auto tranny to work today and all of a sudden engine rpms increase from 2000rpm to around 3000rpm and the check engine light illuminates. Truck runs fine and drives fine. Did I lose overdrive? Any ideas?

Craig

What DTC codes? If you bring it to an auto parts store they can read them for you, write em down and post them here. Did the vehicle keep moving or feel like it was losing speed, or anything like that? Did it drive fine in lower gears or at lower speeds?

Ok I got hold of a DRBII scan tool! The code is PO0705. Its listed in the book as Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input). Any takers?

That should be your NSS--it is the input to the TCU of the physical gear selected.

Search NSS*, plenty of information on NAXJA for clean/lube/adjust.

I had to rebuild the NSS on my 97 a few days ago. It's a really simple process as long as you're careful while pulling the contacts and springs out... I would also suggest tying a piece of string to the plug when you remove the sensor so that you have something to pull it back into the engine compartment with...

Ok looks like I will be rebuilding my NSS. That makes sense since i have had a couple of no start conditions which when I jiggle the shifter handle the truck starts, plus my reverse lights almost never come on....

Back