• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 power window issue?

scotttruhart

NAXJA Forum User
Today when using the one touch open window feature , my window went down fully then i heard some gear grinding noises untill i pushed the switch upwards, also the door trim buckled . i took the door skin off and operated the unit and the window seems to work normal untill it bottoms out. it seems that the motor is not seeing that the window is all the way down and keeps on running motor, as a result the cable assembly sort of binds upwards and pops out rubber window sill . i see no track problems , is there a limit swith in the motor? from what i have seen here in forums thsi is common issue with the 99. any suggestions or do i just need to replace the regulator motor package. any one know of a aftermarket place to get a new one. dealer gets 120$ for the part.

I just did this last week in my '99. If the motor continues to run, it is because the gears are stripped on the regulator. You do have to buy the whole assembly. I couldn't find an aftermarket solution. My local jeep dealer had them for $105. JeepsRus had them for $115. It's an easy swap. I did it without looking for a writup or reviewing the FSM. You can keep the old motor, in case one burns out.

I took a pic of the problem area with my 35mm, but I haven't developed the pic yet. It was also pic number 25/24 so it may not turn out...

Don't keep rolling your window up and down. Once all the threads are stripped, the window won't stay up on it's own any more.

My '98 has been doing that for over a year now, not a dd, so I'm carefull to not let it grind at the top or bottom.

scotttruhart said:
Today when using the one touch open window feature , my window went down fully then i heard some gear grinding noises untill i pushed the switch upwards, also the door trim buckled . i took the door skin off and operated the unit and the window seems to work normal untill it bottoms out. it seems that the motor is not seeing that the window is all the way down and keeps on running motor, as a result the cable assembly sort of binds upwards and pops out rubber window sill . i see no track problems , is there a limit swith in the motor? from what i have seen here in forums thsi is common issue with the 99. any suggestions or do i just need to replace the regulator motor package. any one know of a aftermarket place to get a new one. dealer gets 120$ for the part.

The dealer near me wanted $180. I found it on line from a Chrysler dealer in Atlanta for $75.

Back