• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder 2 Misfire

Cozybuckets

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

Just got the XJ so I know zero history. Owner says it was sitting for a year. It’s a ‘97 4.0 This is also the first time I am dealing with misfire issues so complete newbie.

The below has been replaced

Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs (to champion copper oem)
Plug wires
Fuel injectors

Went on to the compression test, and I am getting 30-40 both wet and dry compression tests on cyl 2, between 140-150 all others. At this point I am thinking this is an internal issue within the cylinder.

Any ideas what to try next or where to go from here? I am really lost and do not know where to start. Would hate for this car to get junked it’s such a clean example for the area I’m in, almost no rust.

The compression numbers on #2 certainly don't look good. If you have access to a borescope, have a look through the spark plug hole for obvious damage. Pull the valve cover and look at the valve train. I'm guessing you're pulling the head next.

The compression numbers on #2 certainly don't look good. If you have access to a borescope, have a look through the spark plug hole for obvious damage. Pull the valve cover and look at the valve train. I'm guessing you're pulling the head next.

I can probably get access to a borescope. Looking for cracks on the piston, scarring on the wall? What am I looking for in the valve train?

Holes in the piston, cylinder wall damage, tops of the valves. On the valve train, the push rods are intact, not bent, rockers, valves move properly.

Back