• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

‘96 AW4 in an ‘01 2WD

Alwaysdutch

NAXJA Forum User
I read the details of the AW4 transmission, but I could not really find out if a ‘96 AW4 2WD transmission would fit a 2001 2WD XJ. Can I swap it or are there a bunch of modifications?

Yeah, that’s the thread I went through and had a hard time figuring out if a 2wd would make any difference. Back to the drawing board. If anyone has a good 2wd tranny is located around ATL, let me know.

2wd to 2wd should not change anything about the listed compatibilities. 1996 AW-4 will not go into a 2001 XJ without lots of extra work.

Last edited:
What's the issue with your AW4? The vast majority of the problems are electronic and not mechanical.

My current AW4 has broken bolts while taking the cone off to replace the speed sensor wheel on the shaft. I found a 96 AW4 but mine is a2001. The seller told me he had done it before without issues, but I wanted to make sure.

You might want to elaborate and/or take pics. Bolts and studs can easily be replaced?

This write-up does not attempt to cover the 2wd editions of the AW4 as thoroughly as the 4wd. The major difference is the addition of another year split - 1995 and earlier 2WD AW4s will have the old style slip yoke and output seal while 1996 and later 2WD AW4s will have the new style slip yoke and output seal, as well as dust slinger. The vehicle speed sensor is also located in the transmission tailhousing. A 2wd AW4 cannot be converted to a 4WD unit without full disassembly as the output shaft is a different length, has 27 splines (to match the slip yoke used on the rear output of 4WD XJ transfer cases) rather than 21 or 23 splines, and includes the 13 tooth worm gear for the VSS or speedo takeoff which would otherwise be in the tailcone of the transfer case.

So if I read this correctly, a '96 2WD tranny would have no issues in an '01 XJ? It says nothing about PCM issues and such.

This write-up does not attempt to cover the 2wd editions of the AW4 as thoroughly as the 4wd. The major difference is the addition of another year split - 1995 and earlier 2WD AW4s will have the old style slip yoke and output seal while 1996 and later 2WD AW4s will have the new style slip yoke and output seal, as well as dust slinger. The vehicle speed sensor is also located in the transmission tailhousing. A 2wd AW4 cannot be converted to a 4WD unit without full disassembly as the output shaft is a different length, has 27 splines (to match the slip yoke used on the rear output of 4WD XJ transfer cases) rather than 21 or 23 splines, and includes the 13 tooth worm gear for the VSS or speedo takeoff which would otherwise be in the tailcone of the transfer case.

So if I read this correctly, a '96 2WD tranny would have no issues in an '01 XJ? It says nothing about PCM issues and such.

The 96 has a different output speed sensor signal than the 98+ transmissions and the 96 is also missing the input speed sensor the 98+ transmissions have. So physically, it would bolt up, but electrically it wouldn't work unless you bastardized a 97 TCM into your jeep.

You need a 98 or newer transmission. 2WD or 4WD does not matter, the transmission does not even know if it is 4x4 or not.

2WD or 4WD does not matter, the transmission does not even know if it is 4x4 or not.

I don’t believe this is true — I have a 2wd 96 — I cannot simply add a transfer case to my 2wd transmission to make it 4wd

From what I understand 2wd transmissions are physically different than 4wd transmissions

I don’t believe this is true — I have a 2wd 96 — I cannot simply add a transfer case to my 2wd transmission to make it 4wd

From what I understand 2wd transmissions are physically different than 4wd transmissions

It's not quite that simple but yes you could do it.

No, the trans is the same other than the tailshaft cone.

You misunderstood what i meant. I meant as far as compatible swaps it doesn't matter. Swap in a 2wd trans or a 4wd trans and a t-case, either is compatible.

You misunderstood what i meant. I meant as far as compatible swaps it doesn't matter. Swap in a 2wd trans or a 4wd trans and a t-case, either is compatible.

Never even thought of that -- swap in a whole assembly, trans, transfer case, rear driveshaft and just ignore the front output on the transfer case

My 2000 is still a 2wd, but has a 4x trans and an Atlas. ;) I need to finish building a dana 30 to go in.

Back