• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I have an issue with both passenger side windows. They will go down, but not back up. Bullet points to consider:

- Drivers side switches wouldn't roll down front pax window when I got the Jeep. It would do the pax side up and down intermittently.
- Swapped drivers side switch box with known good box. Still nothing
- Pax front would not move until I spliced and jumped the child window lock button. Pax rear sometimes went up and down as per point #1.
- Now both pax sides roll down, but not up...and only from their door switch. The drivers switch panel won't do anything with the pax door windows
- Checked the pax rear switch with known good driver rear switch. Switch is not bad
- Used power probe and I have power up and down at both the switch and the harness that the motor plugs into for both front and back pax windows
- Put new motor in pax rear. Still only goes down and not up
- New pax rear motor came with a male plug, so I had to cut and splice in the OEM female plug from the OEM motor

I'm at a loss. I can't imagine that the OEM female plug from the OEM motor is bad, but that seems to be the only wild card.

On another note, anyone want to buy a 2000 XJ Limited that needs window and blower motor work?

Couple thoughts:

1. If you jump straight to the motor with 12V (bypassing switch/harness), can you make the window go up?

2. Do XJs of this vintage have "pinch protection"? Have you checked for dirt/debris buildup in between the wiper gaskets/between gaskets and window tracks? I had a window on my 2002 VW that started fighting me when I wanted to close it, it would keep tripping the "pinch protection" and going back down. I ended up finding that some dirt had built up between one the rubber gaskets and the channel it was in on the door - it was causing added resistance and fooling the pinch protection circuit into thinking someone's hand was caught in it. Once I cleaned out that dirt and shot some silicone lube into the gap the window glass slides in, it started working normally again.

Regarding question 1: how do I do that?

Regarding question 1: how do I do that?

Pull the door panel to access the window motor — unplug the wiring at the motor — should just be 2 leads — provide a positive and negative to those leads — if motor is working properly the window should go up or down — reverse wires for other direction

Run the wires directly to the +/- on the under hood battery?

Sorry, was offline for a couple days. Heavyopp's got the question of directly powering the window motor covered.

Another thing you can check while inside the door and have the harness off the window motor is to see if you get 12V at the harness terminals when pushing the switch (+ in one direction, - in the other).

Back