• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing out the inner axle seals D30

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0L AX15 NP231

I will be changing the inner axle seals today along with the driver side hub. I have already done the passenger side hub. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for while there?

Well I'm waiting on my 24" 1/2" breaker bar to get here b/c I broke my 1/2" ratchet trying to break this axle nut off.. awesome

Good time to throw a locker in there

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dirt and grit in the axle tube. Clean it well. It doesn't take much dirt on the splines to make those new seals leak. A large washer screwed to the end of a broomstick makes a nice scraper. ...and keep an eye on those shims when you pop the carrier out so that it goes back together the same as it came apart.

Dirt and grit in the axle tube. Clean it well. It doesn't take much dirt on the splines to make those new seals leak. A large washer screwed to the end of a broomstick makes a nice scraper. ...and keep an eye on those shims when you pop the carrier out so that it goes back together the same as it came apart.

IIRC, the D30 shims go between the bearing and the carrier.

I have access to bulk brake clean.. So its pretty clean in there now lol.. I do need to invest into some outter axle seals.. There was a ton of dirt in there

I have access to bulk brake clean.. So its pretty clean in there now lol.. I do need to invest into some outter axle seals.. There was a ton of dirt in there
I'd save the money on outer seals. Consensus seems they trap more mud and dirt in the tube than they keep out

I'd save the money on outer seals. Consensus seems they trap more mud and dirt in the tube than they keep out

And water.

Chicken, do you have the outer wipers installed?

Are you talking about the white ring?

this one isnt mine but its what mine looked like

$_1.JPG

Make urself a tool with some 1/2 all thread couple of nuts and some plate. Makes install so much easier. Look at the yukon tool for reference

Imo pending what you do offroad. Stock has no real barrier, thus far every time I've pulled shafts they're clean. I wouldn't say it'll help folks drowning jeeps, but I think they work if you grease them.

Imo pending what you do offroad. Stock has no real barrier, thus far every time I've pulled shafts they're clean. I wouldn't say it'll help folks drowning jeeps, but I think they work if you grease them.

X2.

If you desert wheel or are in otherwise mostly dry stuff then they are probably helpful at keeping out dust and grit, assuming you keep them greased. But if water crossings and deep mud are your thing then they are going to be more of a liability as moisture will be able to get in, but not out.

BTW, I have been told that you should pack the back sides of the new inner axle seals with grease. It is supposed to help with the spring that runs the circumference of the seal. I don't have a real authority to quote on that. Just advice from a former Chrysler/Jeep mechanic who now owns his own repair shop. A bit of RTV silicone on the outside of the seal may also help it seal to the axle tubes. Not a big slather of it though.

Back