• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix scanner port data question.

The CPS produces it's own AC voltage if I'm not mistaken so it will only "read" when the engine is spinning. The Renix data stream does not give a raw CPS reading that I know of, only a reading that can be calculated into RPM which comes directly from the cps. So if you have an rpm reading, you have a cps reading.

As for the distributor sync sensor, it does read the camshaft, but it is not accurate enough to determine rotational angle, only if cylinder 1 or cylinder 6 is on the compression stroker. The ECU can run fine without it, but the ECU has to guess which cylinder is TDC before it can start.

Maybe I'll look into data logging and see what sensors read when to maybe throw some sudo diagnostic codes to check if sensors aren't reading.

Nope, still can't view it.

............edit...................now I found you.

List an item just as you would and price it at $3K.......that won't ever end and you can use it to allow people to find you.

What is your screen name on ebay?

Last edited:
So, let me ask you..........

If you figured out how to read Renix, can you program a new ECU for Renix?

Here's why I ask-

My neighbor just did an LS swap in a S10, he's got a guy that reduced his engine management harness from something like 190 wires down to 60 wires......stripped out a lot none sense, even removed the O2s.

Can you do something similar with Renix?

Uh, if you're asking if the renix ECUs are reprogramable then that is a no. If the Renix ECU is removed then it's not really a Renix anymore.

As for installing an aftermarket ECU, it's very possible, you just have to know a lot about your sensors and how the new ECU will read them to run the engine . There is a fully programmable open source ECU already, I think it's called mega squirt or something like that.

Hey nick so you changed the map readout to volts on the latest update?(need to get to a computer to instal)

So it was reading manifold pressure before right?

So basically the pcm shows both absolute pressure and map voltage at the diagnostic port?

Or is it as simple as the REM monitor interpreting what it sees based on the code you wrote for it ?

Just wondering....trying to better understand the renix pcm

Last edited:
The REM only reads what the ECU sends it and will then do math to get actual readings. The only reading that the REM directly reads is the Oxygen Sensor Heater Relay Voltage, everything else is straight from the ECU.

Now there is a bug in the latest update becuase it was really only a quick patch but if you set the Pressure Unit to Voltage, the MAP will read as expected but the Vacuum is also affected by this and may read in BAR or something odd so I need a good work around. Setting the pressure to any other unit will read properly for MAP and VAC. I may add the voltage reading to the diagnostic menu or figure out what the best way to show it would be.

As for the ECU, I'll give you a quick overview of how it works.

All of the sensor are fed into the Renix ECU. The ECU will convert those analog readings into a digital value and then do the necessary adjustments to the engine for it to run appropriately.

Those Sensor Readings and Adjustments Values are then all grouped together and sent to the ECU Transmit pin on the diagnostic connector to be read. My REM reads the TX pin looking for the beginning of the stream and will then read the entire string in when found. You only need the TX and Ground pin in order to read all the info from the ECU.

Each piece of information is sent as a byte which is only a value from 0 to 255. The REM will do the necessary calculations to convert that 0-255 number into something more useful such as Voltage, or a unit of measurement. They are then displayed on the REM with some screen formatting so that they stay in place.

Now for example, let's look at the MAP reading.
The MAP byte is the 4th byte in the stream. When the engine is off this number will read very high, let's use 247 for example.

That number can be converted into:

Volts: _____247 / 51 = 4.84V
BAR: _____ 247 / 255 = 0.969bar
In Mercury: 247 / 9.13 + 3.1 = 30.15"Hg
KPA: _____ 247 / 2.7 + 11 = 102.48kpa
PSI: ______247 / 18.6 + 1.5 = 14.78psi

Now that will give you the Absolute Atmospheric Pressure from the MAP sensor.

In order to get the Relative Engine Manifold Vacuum we will need the help of another byte, the Barometric Pressure before engine start (#17 in the stream)

We will take the MAP reading and subtract it from the Baro reading so that the reading is zeroed at current atmosphere and you get a negative pressure reading, also known as a vacuum. Then we can convert it into our desired pressure unit.

So now, let's use 91 as MAP and keep 247 for Baro to get out vacuum reading:

BAR: _____ (247 - 91) / 255 = 0.612bar VAC
In Mercury: (247 - 91) / 9.13 + 3.1 = 20.19"Hg VAC
KPA: _____ (247 - 91) / 2.7 + 11 = 68.78kpa VAC
PSI: ______(247 - 91) / 18.6 + 1.5 = 9.89psi VAC

Alright, so hopefully I didn't pop any brains yet :explosion
Hope that clears anything up, if not I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

i actually like it reading pressure instead of volts.
all you need is a barometer app on your phone that tells you pressure at whatever elevation your at and the map reading from the rem module should be close.
having it read in volts is kinda redundant i realize now.

i actually like it reading pressure instead of volts.
all you need is a barometer app on your phone that tells you pressure at whatever elevation your at and the map reading from the rem module should be close.
having it read in volts is kinda redundant i realize now.

Exactly! Why worry about trying to do the math when a machine can do it for you!

On a more technical note, a straight voltage calculation could be inaccurate depending on how the system is wired.

The voltage calc assumes the reference voltage is exactly 4.98v, but if the ecu is having issues and is outputting a lower than usual reference that it is also internally calibrating to, then this voltage calc will be wrong and could cause more confusion then it would help.

The pressure readings will still be accurate in this case, however, as they are only a ratio from the reference voltage to ground and will read the same ratio regardless of reference voltage.

What version is the current rem,Nick?

What benefits do the current modules offer compared to the earliest ones?

I have one of the early ones and kinda feel like its border obsolete with all the fancier versions you've released...lol

back to the top with ya...

What version is the current rem,Nick?

What benefits do the current modules offer compared to the earliest ones?

I have one of the early ones and kinda feel like its border obsolete with all the fancier versions you've released...lol

back to the top with ya...

Oh, boy... where to start, haha.

So currently I am up to the REM II+, board version 5.2. I am looking to release a clock panel version, as well as a JR base model some time in the spring-summer timeframe for people that want different options.

The REM II(v4) and above are built on a new microchip architecture which is better in almost every way; blows the original REMs out of the water. They can manage up to 4 datastreams at the same time, have a buttload more space for awesome program features, are much faster, have more professional circuity for robustness, and lot of add-ons and mod-ability for power users.

The v5 boards take it a step further with a fully embedded design for access to way more pins, and has a 3 channel fan controller and basic DMM features baked right in. They have gotten a little out of hand with features, but that just means I'll be busy coding new features for some time to come.

I almost feel bad for folks that are pushing along the old units, but it is a testament to their usefulness. At the very least, I HIGHLY recommend updating to the latest software because the last update was a huge overhaul that will make your unit feel brand new again.

Thanks for replying, Nick.

My REM has allowed me to get my renix into tip top shape and I love it...for the price(think it was like $50 or something)it really saves alot of money over the mt2500 all while doing essentially the same thing.
However,I'm looking to upgrade because i have dual cooling fans and have them wired up to a manual switch and am getting tired of keeping an eagle eye on my temps....

Do the current modules reliably control two fans via relay trigger?

Are you still building these in batches or do you have some standing inventory?

TIA

However,I'm looking to upgrade because i have dual cooling fans and have them wired up to a manual switch and am getting tired of keeping an eagle eye on my temps....

Do the current modules reliably control two fans via relay trigger?

Are you still building these in batches or do you have some standing inventory?

TIA

I have finally hit the point of having available stock at the ready! Check my website for all the goodies there: https://nickintimedesign.com/

The REM II+ has a much better relay driver setup then the REM II and will stand up to any common relay just fine. I have not heard any feedback one way or the other on how well the CTS reading does for cooling, so I assume it works as it should.

For my own personal needs I wanted something more standalone with easier access to tuning and more features, so I build standalone Fan Controllers as well now. They use a seperate temp probe that you can put where you like for more control along with smart modes to turn the fans on in sequence automatically, as well as an engine off timer for any heat soak worries.

Oh I forgot to ask when I upgrade can I use the existing data cord?(I have the current cord ran neatly through rhe firewall)

The Ethernet cord is compatible with all units, and the adapters have been wired to provide basic functionality across all models so far.

decisions,decisions...hmmm lemme drink a beer and decide what model to go with.

I see you have a trade in program(I believe I have a version one beta)that sweetens the pot very good indeed!!!

Back