• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions on replacing axle seals and bearings???

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so tomorrow i am finally getting around to replacing the ujoints in my axle and i would also like to replace the bearings and seals.

hoping someone could give me detailed instructions.

where exactly are hte bearings located?
how do they come out?

and the seals? do i need to take the differentail cover off? and if so how do i go about doing that?

and how exactly do i replace the seals?

and how do i check to see if my ball joints are fuctioning properly?
thanks

Is it a disconnect or non-disconnect axle? Look on the passenger side of the axle, facing the rear....is there a box-type thing with (I think) 3 vacuum hoses running down to it?

IMG00202.jpg

That's a really close up picture, hard to tell what I'm looking at but that's probably your vent tube. If you have a non-disco axle, which it seems you do, that should be your only other line coming out of your front axle. You must have the 242 transfer case. Do you have a full-time 4wd option on your TC selector?

blazinjames said:
which one is that? can anyone help me?

no offense, but i think this work is a little over your head.

do you have a FSM or at least a chiltons/haynes manual

why replace parts that might not be bad?

dana30 on an 89 either has a vacuum disconnect or doesnt depending on what transfercase you have. the 231 case HAS the vacuum disconnect and the 242 doesnt.

the picture you posted looks like the vent line.

there are inner and outer seals, to get to the inner seals you need to rmove the carrier. bearing need to be pressed in, the list goes on. if you really want to replace the seals, bearings, and ujoints you really need a good understanding of the parts and how the axle works.

its not a quick and easy job to do all those. your basically trying to rebuild the axle.

im only saying this because of the questions your asking and the lack of knowlegde you have about the axle you have.

blazinjames said:
I don't know what axle I have...its from a 89 xj 4x4 4l

Do you know whether it is the front or rear axle?

"ya i dont think im going to attempt to do the seals or bearings.."

I agree, don't change any bearings unless there is a need.

Back