• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automotive technician hourly pay

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey guys,

I just picked up a job as a tech at a local auto shop, and we are trying to figure out a fair hourly pay rate. Neither of us knew what to offer so we are both checking around.

I have a friend who in high school was an intern at a BMW shop and made $11.50/hour. He didn't know a thing.

Another friend (fresh out of high school) made $25/hour working for the city of Pleasanton as a police/fire vehicle mechanic.

Anyway, I don't quite know what to offer. I have more experience than the two of them combined, have taken automotive/machinist classes, was born with a wrench in my hand, and am in college pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I do not currenly hold any ASE certifications, but could easily pick some up.

To those of you working in shops or in the industry, what do you think would be a fair rate to ask for?

Thanks guys.
Kevin

are you going to be working flag hours?
will you be providing your own tools?

If so, I feel 20-25 is fair. What is the minimum you can afford to work for?

are you going to be working flag hours?
will you be providing your own tools?

If so, I feel 20-25 is fair. What is the minimum you can afford to work for?
He said hourly, flat rate is usually specified.
But, legally if you supply your own tools double min. wage is required by law. If not, then usually less than that is what it is.

Journey level mechanics that work in my shop receive $34-36 per hour dayshift with a 10% swingshift premium and a 15% graveyard premium. Apprentices start at 50% journey lavel and move up 10% a year for four years. The medical & retirement plan requires an employee contribution matched by the employer.

Last edited:
C mechanic is 12-15, B mechanic is 15-20, and A mechanic is 20-30... around here at least. That is starting pay not average. C mechanics are not usually required to supply their own tools.

I'd say around 12-15 starting off is optimistic. All the shops I've worked for started the new guys at 10-12. With experience and certs comes more money. Supplying you're own tools is expensive, but it's an investment in yourself. Same thing with ASE's, they cost money, but again, it's an investment. If you worked for me I'd pay you $10 and let you get raises after you learned certain skills

Depends, if you have your own tools or not and what your going to be doing. Id say if you have a rolling cart with a few drawers of basic tools, minimal to zero professional experience and you can do oil changes no problem, pads and rotors or drum brake jobs, swap out easy stuff like drive shafts or other grunt work then 12 to 15 is fair.

Also need to take injto account you are in Sacramento. Sacramento has UTI and Wyotech. I dont know how many students are at wyotech, but last I heard about the sacramento campus for UTI, at any given point they have 2-3000 students. Thats a lot of competition when trying to find grunt work and pay is nothing in that area because of supply and demand. I worked for Hoblit Jeep Chrysler Dodge in Woodland. Our lubies made $12 but had too move up to a level 2 tech quick which means you can do basic services and be reliable. So tranny flushes, fuel system flushs, filters, brakes, steering and alignments. As soon as they became a level 2 in Chrysler training they got bumped up to $16 if they were fulltime and supplying their own tools.

$14 per hour.any less and its an insult to all grease monkeys everywhere. Now if its under the table hence no deductions $10 would be acceptable.

Back