• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best winch!?

eatsleepoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up an offroad winch bumper and im trying to decide which winch to put on it. i dont want anything crazy, just something along the lines of a 8000lb. ($299 price range)

i just came upon rough countrys 9500lb for $299 but it doesnt seem to be a brand name of any sort. let me know what you guys think

http://roughcountry.com/winches/electric-winch_rs9500.html

i just dont want to cheap out and later on get hurt or killed after trying to winch a buddy out and have the line snap or something like that....

what do you guys have??

A lot of people have good luck with the XRC8s from Smittybuilt.

That said, I opted for a Warn M8000.

Got it on sale, etc. for $500 to my door. Was worth the piece of mind to me.

y superwinch EP 9 has been good to me, even after I bent the solenoid box against a tree.

Reasonably priced alternative to Warn. It's a little slow, but pulls nicely.

asking the best winch is like asking whats the best sandwich.
buffalo chicken, duh :twak:

I have a Ramsey 8k that I got for $100 with blown solenoids. Got new solenoids and rebuilt the wiring. I have $140 into the setup and it works as good as some of my friend's $400-600 winches. If I were to spend some real $$ on one, I'd get a 9.5k+ Warn. They pull fast and hard.

The best winch is the one that you have bolted to your rig when you need it.

Is the $500 WARN m8000 made in the USA? I personally prefer WARN, but will take any winch made in the USA.

Well I have s few things to say about winches....first never set a cheep price for a winch...unless its used. second no matter what ..if done wrong any winching can be dangerous. You need to take into affect what you want your winch to do....if you want to pull out your buddies and save yourself if needed go with a Mile Marker. If you want to go anywhere and I mean anywhere, and never worry about the winch failing then spend the money and go with what I did... The Ramsey 9,500 lbs you'll love everything about it.

I got my xrc8 for 100 bucks as a "pile o parts" that wouldn't go back together, would buy again. Took me a while to figure out how it was supposed to go together, the splined shaft between the drum and the last planetary was in upside down and so was the planetary.

Haven't used it yet because I got as far as reassembling it and bolting it to the bumper and haven't finished the wiring for the solenoid :roflmao: gotta get it done by Saturday for sure.

I got a free Warn 8274 that i rebuilt, its a FRIGGIN BEAST. Thats the best 8klb winch I have ever used. I have been through 3 Smittybilts, and still use one on the rear of my XJ. They get the job done, but dont last forever.

My recommendation would be for whatever winch this gentleman was using at the 6:00 mark. May be mildly NSFW.

My recommendation would be for whatever winch this gentleman was using at the 6:00 mark. May be mildly NSFW.

In my Top 5 favorite movies!! How did that winch work, yet they could not start the land rover? "rings too tight" :confused1

I have owned an early Mile Marker E8000, 2 HF Winches, an XRC8, and there is a Warn 8000K winch that came with the Jeep. The Early MM and HF winches are slooooow, but were dependable. I broke the housing on the MM, but that was just operator error. The rest of the winches were sold with what they were attached to.
The XRC8 worked, but I had trouble free spooling it. That said, it had a great recovery speed for a cheap winch.

The Warn that is on the Jeep seems to work great. Free spools easy, fast recovery speed under no load to haul in line, and good pull. So far it's my favorite :D

I'm running a Smittybilt XRC10. Got it for 399 from winchdepot.com shipped to my door. I've used it a lot more than I expected and it hasn't let me down. Used it to haul my brother in law's non-running Chevy on 39.5s up onto his trailer, no ramps, about a 1.5-2 foot ledge; pulled his father in law's XJ out of some seriously nasty mud; then tried dragging my brother in law's 33" equipped F350 buried to the framerails in same mud. I finally pulled it out the next day, both pulls were pulling it sideways at a 90* angle, up out of its ruts, and it moved it no problem. Then went on to pull out a silly person in a Focus who made the mistake of entering the horrible mess of a lakebed we were in. I also pulled my self out in between bouts of pulling the Ford out. Twice. Got unstuck, drove 6 feet and stuck again. :D

Is the $500 WARN m8000 made in the USA? I personally prefer WARN, but will take any winch made in the USA.

The m8000 is built in the same Oregon assembly plant that produces all of their high end winches.

I've heard good things about the smittybilt's, but the hardware likes to rust.

If I had 500 to spend, I'd go Warn.

Ramsey rep 8000 or 9500

25-30 years ago 4 wheel drive type magazines use to do heads up comparative testing of every thing. At that time Ramsey rep 8000 was the lowest amp draw within of the winches compared. I didn't want to have 2 batteries on board and didn't care so much about line speed. I just want to get unstuck! My present Ramsey rep 8000 is 28 yrs old.

Back