• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm a Technician looking for work.

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
My name is Chris Divine. I'm currently attending Universal Technical Institute. I'm studying Automotive and Diesel technologies. I have a 3.8 GPA and I have completed 3/4 of my training here. I am currently in the process of taking ASE tests with the goal of being master tech certified in Auto and Diesel by the time I graduate in August of this year. I have completed Forklift training and I am certified and approved by OSHA Federal Regulation 1910.178. I have complete the EPA tests for my 608 license and have taking the tests for type I, II, and III. I am currently waiting for the results.
I have been working or training in the industry since 2006. I started out by taking automotive and diesel repair classes in High School. After I graduated I studied Mechanical engineering in San Luis Obispo. While there I ended up moving back home to take on a job at my local FORD dealership as an apprentice tech. When business started going down hill and I was laid off, I moved here to Sacramento and enrolled at UTI.
I'm a full time student. Mon thru Friday I am out of school right before 1pm. I'm looking for part time work. I would accept a full time position if I could, but I'm at school from 5:30am to 12:45pm everyday except for weekends. I am looking for an apprentice type job, or even a job as a lube tech, I know this isn't a normal posting, but I figured I'd try here as I know there are many techs on this site.
I can be contacted at (559) 676-0630, or at [email protected]

Last edited:
Chris,

Unfortunately we just handed out 12 lay-off notices two weeks ago and expect another round next week. However VTA in Santa Clara and AC Transit in Hayward I heard is hiring. Check with Cummins West in San Leandro, even though you have completed UTI they may still require you go through an apprentice program.

Good luck,
Tom

Chris,

Unfortunately we just handed out 12 lay-off notices two weeks ago and expect another round next week. However VTA in Santa Clara and AC Transit in Hayward I heard is hiring. Check with Cummins West in San Leandro, even though you have completed UTI they may still require you go through an apprentice program.

Good luck,
Tom

Thank you Tom. Im expecting to go through more apprentice programs. A job with Cummins would be nice, I am trying to focus more on Diesel at the moment, but Im still open for jobs in the auto industry. I really just want to get back in the field, since I've been up here I've been working, just not at a shop.

It's not in your field but check out dow.com. We are hiring I & E Techs, Maintenence, and Op/Techs. Money is good and benes are great.

Good Luck to you.

The Ford & Chevy Dealerships in Colma, just south of San Francisco each snatched up one of our mechanics, sounds like they are goimg to put on evening shifts.

Hit the bricks and start dropping applications at every Toyota dealer in the states. Eventually they'll need to hire help to complete the accelerator pedal recall when the parts start arriving. When I was at Buick we hired a few guys to help with the diluge of vehicles needing to be repaired. They were kept on after the work was complete because they had a good attitude and work ethic.

Last edited:
Good luck in your job search. I worked at Cummins West for 4 months and i have a couple friends still working there. Good company!

I've applied at Toyota up here, but they have a contract with my school now to only hire students out of our Toyota program. I'm really trying to get back on at a Ford dealership. I applied at Kenworth up here, but the service manager told me he only hires graduates from out program. My next step is to start going to every independent shop that I find.

Last edited:
Back