• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best winch!?

I can't really compare my Smittybilt XRC 8 to any other winches' line speed/quality/etc. But let me tell you...it has survived a 18 year old's retarded wrath on...23 occasions? Yeah, i've pulled myself out of 14 inches of mud. Sideways uphill. And that little bitch kept chugging...I personally find it nothing short of incredible. I'd buy it again, especially considering the customer service was top notch! I called them for a broken controller that was UPS's fault and they not only sent me that, but also a free winch cover. It gets the job done.

I "almost" will guarantee that the connections to the stator have pulled apart inside the motor case where the battery connections go through the case. I had to fix mine on the WARN after the original owner replaced the solenoid pack and overtightned and twisted off the positive connection inside the case. It was a $0 fix and the winch has been nothing but stellar since!

I'll give it a shot thanks a lot.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I "almost" will guarantee that the connections to the stator have pulled apart inside the motor case where the battery connections go through the case. I had to fix mine on the WARN after the original owner replaced the solenoid pack and overtightned and twisted off the positive connection inside the case. It was a $0 fix and the winch has been nothing but stellar since!
I am about to buy a winch for my XJ, and I have already decided that I'll pick Warn. I have studied multiple videos, reviews and articles on their winches. But the question is - which one to select? I was thinking of their VR enry level package. Though this table says that Warn's M premium is the best option for my XJ and is around $200 more expensive... So I am kinda doubting, whether it's better to take that M premium or the VR will do that?

The M series is faster uses contacts instead of solenoids and is better for long or sustained pulls and made in the US
So if its something that is going to get used frequently or hard the M is a better choice.
The VR is an entry level winch made in china that is primarily designed for occasional use and mall crawling

The only winch I have any first-hand experience with is the Quadratec Q11000 I won a couple years back in a raffle:

Can't speak to the cable/fairlead/hook it came with because I pulled all that off in favor of a synthetic line with thimble and hawse, but the winch itself has been solid for the few times I have used it so far. Admittedly, it sits in the garage when I am not wheeling (have it on a cradle) so I can't speak to how it'd be in a permanently-mounted, weather-exposed application, but it seems like a robust unit to me, with no obviously cheap parts that I've noticed so far.

i picked up an offroad winch bumper and im trying to decide which winch to put on it. i dont want anything crazy, just something along the lines of a 8000lb. ($299 price range)

i just came upon rough countrys 9500lb for $299 but it doesnt seem to be a brand name of any sort. let me know what you guys think

https://jeepequipment.com/12000-lb-winches/

i just dont want to cheap out and later on get hurt or killed after trying to winch a buddy out and have the line snap or something like that....

what do you guys have??
If you have a Smittybilt XRC bumper it's actually easier to take the bumper off and install it. Especially if you have big hands:worship:

Back