• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Request for part number : Chief Hood Sticker

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone out there have the parts manual for the earlier XJs - 1980s vintage?

I want to get the "Chief" style hood blackout for my MY01 XJ. I find the sun glare on the hood really annoying. Plus the hood black out will probably look kinda cool against the steel blue color of my Jeep. LOL

Anyway, here is what the hood black out looks like (apologies to the owner - can't remmebr where I downloaded this image from):

353606_83_full.jpg

353606_79_full.jpg

The dealer I am working with does not see this decal in the parts listings - just the thin style that wraps aroudn the outsie of the raised part of the hood.

Any one able to get a part number? Is there a company that makes reproductions if the dealer can't get it?

Thanks!

My 87-90 parts manual only shows the two thinner hood stripes. Maybe it's an 84-86 thing?
I would think that the style you're looking for should be super-easy to paint on. Just be sure to complete cover your windshield with newspaper to shield against overspray.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I just looked through my parts CD from 84-90 and couldnt find it either

Me thinks a paintjob is in order.

I have never seen a Chief with that style blackout. The factory style was a multi-stripe U shape that is probably what Pete M described.

Try a dealer. As of a year ago I was able to buy the "J e e p" decals for the tailgate of an MJ. The hood decal might still be available.

Thanks for looking it up guys - much appreciated.

I have seen this black out on a handfull of XJs, both online and in person. The normal style is the outlined stickers - but they don't accomplish what I want and two of the three peices are discontinued according to my dealer anyway.

I may paint it if I don't find the decals, but I would prefer to get the decal. The decal lasts longer - matt black automotive paint always seems to fade/grey after 4-5 years. I suppose I could always cut a decal - I think you can buy the stuff to do it.

Oh well.

Just looked through the 84-86 parts cd and nothing there, looks as though the one in the pic posted was a rattle can job if you look closer.
Mike B.

Hmm, I think your right about this one being a rattle can job - it is fading blotchy and does not have the pin stripe around the outside that the "factory" [?] decal has.

I'm sure I didn't imagine this - I've seen them "in the wild" with my own eyes.

Root Moose said:
Hmm, I think your right about this one being a rattle can job - it is fading blotchy and does not have the pin stripe around the outside that the "factory" [?] decal has.

I'm sure I didn't imagine this - I've seen them "in the wild" with my own eyes.

I think you may find that it could have been an aftermarket package installed at the dealer. Many moons ago I worked at a dealership and we would take vehicles that had had scratches or hail dents in them to have vinyl padded roofs on them (cars that is), sunroofs, or on the trucks big ole sticker / decal packages, the one manager had almost a fetish for those awfull side stickers that did the fade thing on almost the whole side of the trucks and had a big gaudy 4X4 lettering at the rear.... this was the mid eighties though keep in mind. The outfit that did the decals would show up at the lot and do them and they used them on other makes as well as there wasn't a dealer around for 100 miles that didn't have one of those packages sitting on their lot.
I'd say find a sign shop that makes the truck lettering for local business' in your area and they should be able to make up just what you want for less than any factory stickers would be.
Mike B.

Back