• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's needed to replace head unit

Not usually, they are pretty straight-forward nowadays. If you wanted to get an XJ wiring harness adapter (honestly not even sure there is one) I suppose that is ok, but I would save the 20 bucks.

Just match the colors and turn it on! :)

I bought the plastic adapter to make it fit into the slot. It was $10 and well worth it. They did not have the right harness adapter so I did the cut and splice wiring method, however it is not quite as easy as the above post implies. The different speakers have some unrelated wire colorings.

http://snowboard247.blogspot.com/2005/05/1984-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-wiring-info.html

that link has all the info you should need to match everything up nice and kosher. That way you won't have the right front playing out the left rear or anything like that, just scroll down and find your year.

I bought the plastic adapter to make it fit into the slot. It was $10 and well worth it.
it sounds like you mean some kind of faceplate? the pre-97 is single DIN isn't it?

http://snowboard247.blogspot.com/2005/05/1984-01-jeep-cherokee-xj-wiring-info.html

that link has all the info you should need to match everything up nice and kosher. That way you won't have the right front playing out the left rear or anything like that, just scroll down and find your year.
thanks for the link

Just my .02, I'm a fan of bucking up the extra few bucks for the adaptable harness. This makes it a little easier to pull the unit in and out, or to switch to another unit from the same company.

Just my .02, I'm a fan of bucking up the extra few bucks for the adaptable harness. This makes it a little easier to pull the unit in and out, or to switch to another unit from the same company.
x2 Id grab the harness, its much easier.

and Yes the pre 97 is Single DIN so there is no need for a deck install kit.

Besides that your set, unless you want to start running new speaker wire, amps, subs etc...

my aftermarket deck did not come with any mounting system. So I needed to get the plastic bracket. you cannot see it, but it holds the face plate nice and tight. After changing out the head unit in both of my 1991s and my 1989, there is no real way the headunit would have stayed in without the bracket. They all had the factory radio when I got them, so I do not think anyone would have messed with them.

you may not need it, but keep it in mind, cause I sure needed it

I have a cheap kenwood cd player that came in my xj when i bought it, has a home made mounting bracket and the correct wire harness on it.

we can work a deal I'm sure :)

I'll even help install it if ya like.

buy the wireing harness there 10 bucks at walmart it's not worth hacking up your stock wireing harness to save 10 dollars

with the wireing harness you conect the wires coming from the plug on the head unit to the wires on the plug that comes with the wireing harness (all the wires are collar matched) and then plug the wireing harness plug into the the stock plug that was in the factory stereo

basicly the wireing harness is a plug with wires sticking out of it

and if i recall correctly on pre 97 cherokees there are a couple of wire that aren't used

-Dylan

if you buy a head unit from Crutchfield it will come with the wiring harness.

For pre 97 just reuse the metal bracket that's on the stock radio. You shouldn't need any other parts. I also recommend using a wiring adapter if you should ever replace or remove the radio.

Why is this thread in Street Performance BTW???

Most of the stereo threads seem to wind up here. I think it helps keep some of the more serious tech discussions on the front page of the respective forums, where people are more concerned with addressing repairs and maintenance issues more than aesthetics and luxury items.

Most of the stereo threads seem to wind up here. I think it helps keep some of the more serious tech discussions on the front page of the respective forums, where people are more concerned with addressing repairs and maintenance issues more than aesthetics and luxury items.

Yes they do since its not that important to have a radio in your rig when you are on the trail. I can't live without one myself! :D

stereo isn't that big of a deal to me, I hardly ever listen to much anymore. however the jeep is now my winter driver and I need radio/cd for any long drives I take.

speaking of which, Thanks for the head unit Veeb0rg. I'll let you know how it works out.

I ended up getting a basic $84 head unit from Target based on the reviews. I had picked up a head unit with a Jeep harness from Veeb0rg and although the head unit didn't work the harness made it easy to install the cheapo unit. I reused the bracket from the stock radio, and only had to enlarge a couple of holes to get it pretty well lined up. The cheapo unit came with a bracket but the stocker has a tab on the top that holds the ass end of the stereo up, so it seemed like the smarter/better play was to reuse that.

Back