• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Select trac cv joint axle

DSBLAKE

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I have a 1990 Cherokee sport. It has the vacuum disconnect on the pax side with the 2 peice axle. I believe this is called select trac? My cv joint boots are torn. I was able to get a new boot installed on the drivers side. The axle on the Pax side is another story. The axle is too thick on the onboard side to slide a new boot on. I’ve been looking everywhere for a new or rebuilt cv joint axle but haven’t been able to find one anywheres. The all say except select trac. Does anybody have a source for these? Thank you.

As far as I know, mainland Cherokees never used CV front axle shafts. Grand Cherokees did use them on some models.
You may have an export model, is so, the Factory parts may be diffferent than what could buy here in the continental US.
Go to Rock Auto and check the mid-90 Grand Cherokee's front axles, some have CV front shafts.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...e,4.0l+l6,1182181,drivetrain,axle+shaft,10439

My Cherokee was made in the states. Rock auto and many other sites list cv joints for my model. The problem has been finding one for the Select Trac model or the one with vacuum center axle disconnect. I’m thinking of buying the long axle and eliminating the CAD with a blanking kit like this one. I don’t know if it will work.
Yukon Gear & Axle (YA W39147-KIT) Block-Off Kit for Dana 30 Differential https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078UA8WK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uXwyCb54DWA8M

I am very interested to see this Cherokee with CV axles. Would you mind posting a picture of it?

Well I learned something, early XJs, with a NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case, evidently came with CV front axle shafts. Wonder why the change?
My 1997 XJ, with a NP242, was built with regular u-joint front axle shafts.

Rock Auto stops showing front CV shafts after the 1993 models.
When driving my 1997 on dry pavement, in 2WD Part-Time, while cornering the steering wheel rocks back and forth, something a CV shaft would cure.
Because of the rocking, 2WD Part-Time is only used in the snow or on wet, slippery surfaces. It's fun to drive in Part-Time, in the rain, it's feel like a completely different machine, a bit like our Subaru.
The difference is the Jeep doesn't have the electronic nanny, also know as stability and traction control, keeping the fun to a minimum.
I would prefer CV axles, as long as they were strong enough. The ZJ Grand Cherokee ran CV axles with a V8, so they can't be too weak.

I suspect Rock Auto may be wrong indicating their CV shafts do not work with a Select-Trac, CV shafts wouldn't be very useful with a NP231.
I wonder how they can sell a pair of rebuilt CV shafts for less than $80, and no core charge, when the boots alone are almost $30.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...180167,drivetrain,cv+half+shaft+assembly,2288

I considered swapping out my cv axles for the ones with joints but didn’t know if it would work. I’ve had no problems with the cv joints except for when my boots need replacing which is about every 10 years.

Well I learned something, early XJs, with a NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case, evidently came with CV front axle shafts. Wonder why the change?
My 1997 XJ, with a NP242, was built with regular u-joint front axle shafts........................

Not sure what you mean by "early XJ's" - my 89 XJ has NP 242 Selec-Trac and regular U-joints in the front?

:dunno:

I don't think the NP242 came paired with the front axle CAD. My '89 has the 242 and a solid passenger side shaft...and has regular u-joints, not CV joints.

Not sure what you mean by "early XJ's" - my 89 XJ has NP 242 Selec-Trac and regular U-joints in the front?

:dunno:

maybe ones with the NP229 Select-Trac case? Possibly the 84-86 era...

Back