• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest Uhaul trailer I can tow with XJ w/ tow package?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have to move soon and have toyed w/ the idea of just getting a trailer and move my stuff and the XJ at the same time. I've never towed w/ the XJ, and have no idea what would be the biggest trailer that I can safely tow with it. My XJ is a 2001 w/ the tow package on 31" tires. Unfortunately I'm still on stock gears so I know it will be a sucky drive, since the 31's already make it accelerate slowly. The drive will be from the San Luis Obispo area in CA down to San Diego.

U-haul will determine that,they are not very friendly towards "Light SUV's",give them a call!

6x12, but I would go with a 5x8. Uhaul will go off hitch capacity not what the actual vehicle can handle so it depends on what your hitch says you can handle.

last time i was at uhaul they would not hook the 6x12 to anything less than a 1/2 ton truck

that trailer weighs over 2500 empty, you would get much in the way of payload out of it.

That's basically what I was wondering, if I could tow the 6x12 or not. I was on the website and it said I could tow the 6x12 w/ the XJ, but it seemed like it would be a big trailer to be towing with it. 5x8 seems pretty small, but I might just have to go take a look at that one.

If you dont mind an Open top check out the 5x9 ramp trailer, they run the same price as the 5x8.

I went and checked them out today, and asked about towing with the XJ. The guy said the 6x12 was doable, but I would definitely be fighting w/ it more. I decided to just go ahead and rent a truck, it's less of a hassle. The only thing with a truck is that now I gotta drive it to SD, then come back on Amtrack and drive the XJ down.

I towed a 5x9 uhaul ramp trailer to NJ and back (~500 mile round trip) with my XJ on stock tires/gears, it wasn't too bad. If it's an automatic remember to keep it in 3 at all times, don't use overdrive. With stock gears and 31s you'll probably be doing that anyways.

I went and checked them out today, and asked about towing with the XJ. The guy said the 6x12 was doable, but I would definitely be fighting w/ it more. I decided to just go ahead and rent a truck, it's less of a hassle. The only thing with a truck is that now I gotta drive it to SD, then come back on Amtrack and drive the XJ down.

Why not tow the XJ behind the U-haul?

Why not tow the XJ behind the U-haul?

I just got 31s on it. The Uhaul straps apparently will only fit up to 30", and I don't have the straps that I would need to do it myself. On top of that, I hate driving the big trucks and have never towed, soooo... yea I don't think I wanna try it.

Driving the big trucks is surprisingly painless. I drove a 26 footer when I moved into my last apartment, after about a day I could parallel park it. Just gotta look out on the corners or you'll sideswipe things.

I drove a 17' quite a few times and although I don't like it much, I was able to drive it just fine. The thing I don't trust myself with is a trailer behind it. I just think if I'm gonna tow something for the first time, a Uhaul truck probably isn't the ideal learning vehicle.

How about this--rent the truck for a local return, usually way cheaper that way, then haul your stuff to SD, then drive back to SLO and turn the truck in, drive the XJ down. Saves a train ticket, cab fare, and even with the mileage/fuel you might be saving $$$.

I just got 31s on it. The Uhaul straps apparently will only fit up to 30", and I don't have the straps that I would need to do it myself. On top of that, I hate driving the big trucks and have never towed, soooo... yea I don't think I wanna try it.

:D
IMG00115-20100522-1032.jpg

Use the uhual straps over your front axle not over the tire and just buy one strap for the rear. You just have to do this off site as the idiots at uhual wont allow it.

Be careful doing that. Some states require 2 independent tie-downs at each end.

I was refering to "flat towing" it!

Renting a car trailer with the truck will probably be cheaper than, going back and forth.
When are you moving? I live near Oceano. I could drive the XJ down for you and you could pay for my train ride back (=
A co-worker of mine's broad works at Fort Locks Self Storage in Nipomo, maybe call and see if they can do a deal for you.

:D
IMG00115-20100522-1032.jpg

Use the uhual straps over your front axle not over the tire and just buy one strap for the rear. You just have to do this off site as the idiots at uhual wont allow it.
That's a good idea.

How about this--rent the truck for a local return, usually way cheaper that way, then haul your stuff to SD, then drive back to SLO and turn the truck in, drive the XJ down. Saves a train ticket, cab fare, and even with the mileage/fuel you might be saving $$$.
That, too, is a good idea. I gotta figure out what it would cost.

So here's the thing. For the sake of not getting the topic too complicated, I kind of shortened up what I gotta do. Basically, the ex gf and I are moving apart, but we are both moving back to SD. We both have XJs and were debating whether to just pitch in and get a truck together or just go solo and do it each on our own. So yea, that's a whole other level of figuring crap out. The two main options were to pitch in and split a truck, drive it down, come back on amtrack and take the XJs down, or me go on my own and take the XJ with all my crap in a trailer and be done w/ it.

Last edited:
Back