• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On my way and poof! RMS starts going out fast

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
Stopped about 400 miles ago and put in a bottle of Lucas stop leak to no avail. Lost about 1/2-3/4 quart just coming up the hill from the Sac valley to Truckee where I'm camping tonight, trailing a nice smoke screen up all the hills. (Got passed by cops? I would have pulled me over)

Planning on hitting the moab koa Sunday, keeping an eye on the leak but is just a small weep unless climbing hills.
Who's up for a little work party? :)

I used to lose a quart an hour at highway speeds when mine went bad. I replaced mine 3 times kept going bad. Turned out my crank had a bur on it and would eat the seals.

Stopped about 400 miles ago and put in a bottle of Lucas stop leak to no avail. Lost about 1/2-3/4 quart just coming up the hill from the Sac valley to Truckee where I'm camping tonight, trailing a nice smoke screen up all the hills. (Got passed by cops? I would have pulled me over)

Planning on hitting the moab koa Sunday, keeping an eye on the leak but is just a small weep unless climbing hills.

Who's up for a little work party? :)

If you still need some help by the time I arrive Wednesday morning; I can lend you a hand. Wont be the first time I helped change a rear main seal in a Moab campground.

I should have a tube of the anaerobic sealant for the joint between the two halves. I will see if I can lay hands on it and make sure it is still good. If good I will bring it along.

Got to wendover for the night. 339 miles per gallon of oil. Picked up a rear main and a one piece oil pan gasket already. Still crossing my fingers. I'm lacking a torque wrench and socket for the rear main cap, and hopefully someone trailering down has a drain pan I can borrow

Still getting passed by cops? Guess out of state plates smoke screening the freeway isn't as important as looking for speeders in an 80 zone to Nevada HP

Is it burning off the crossover on the exhaust under the engine? I'm going to guess you have a good lift on it. Use some solid brass rod as a drift to punch the seal out. I'll be arriving Thurs morning, we're leaving Wednesday. Holler if you need anything, I'm trailering out.

I have the anaerobic sealant and I can bring a drain pan too.

I also have sockets, including 1/2" drive. I expect there will be plenty of folks with those.

I should be rolling in on Tuesday evening.

I'll be there on monday with tools. If you still need help let me know. I'll be in the green 2door xj.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it burning off the crossover on the exhaust under the engine? I'm going to guess you have a good lift on it. Use some solid brass rod as a drift to punch the seal out. I'll be arriving Thurs morning, we're leaving Wednesday. Holler if you need anything, I'm trailering out.

Exactly. I'm at 4.5" so I think I can drop the pan at ride height.

At the Moab KOA site 51

Going to roll into town and wash off the underside this morning, grab some black rtv and see if I can find a brass punch. I went ahead and grabbed a drain pan too but still need a torque wrench and a socket (3/4?) For the rear main cap.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone!

This thread is useless without pics
d2964fea6fb8e5b890a5789acb96189d.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Going to roll into town and wash off the underside this morning, grab some black rtv and see if I can find a brass punch. I went ahead and grabbed a drain pan too but still need a torque wrench and a socket (3/4?) For the rear main cap.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone!

There is a NAPA Autoparts at 65 W 200S that should have what you need.

Think I found a local guy (Bob? Didn't get his screen name) with more tools and a carport I can use. Stress levels just got kicked down a couple notches

Done! 6 hours, mostly getting the crusty oem seal out.

Congratulations on a job well done, you and Opal make a good team.
Thanks Bob! We couldn't have done it without your help.

Back