• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door Cherokee 01 with 25,000 miles... mild build for daughters first Jeep

On my last XJ I went from an 8.25 with drums to an 8.8 with discs. I didn’t notice any big difference in stopping distance and never got the e-brake to work right.

This is precisely why I stuck with drums on my D44 swap. Probably also worth noting the the e-brake is particularly important to me as I have an AX-15.

Front brakes are where to look for improvement. WJ swap is my goal there.

I don't recall exactly what I did with the block on the axle tube, and my Jeep and computer with pictures is 1,000 miles away.

This is precisely why I stuck with drums on my D44 swap. Probably also worth noting the the e-brake is particularly important to me as I have an AX-15.

Front brakes are where to look for improvement. WJ swap is my goal there.

I don't recall exactly what I did with the block on the axle tube, and my Jeep and computer with pictures is 1,000 miles away.

Same here. Both XJs have been AX-15 and TJ is NV-3550.

I used d30 wheel studs when I did my disc conversion on my 8.25.

Makes sense that you dont have much engagement because discs are thicker than drums.

When i did the disc swap on my 8.25, I used KJ disc parts, and found that these (https://goo.gl/Jtq1YR) G2 cables fit perfectly. There are different lengths available, so you can measure exactly what you need and pick what works for you. I also did the same thing Goose did and used front wheel studs, plenty of stud engagement on the discs and Rubicon Moab wheels.

Maybe slightly better braking than the drums, but mainly I 'm happy to not have to mess with drums anymore. I much prefer maintenance and repairs on discs

When i did the disc swap on my 8.25, I used KJ disc parts, and found that these (https://goo.gl/Jtq1YR) G2 cables fit perfectly. There are different lengths available, so you can measure exactly what you need and pick what works for you.

Somebody local is parting out a '04 Liberty and was thinking about checking it out for the rear 8.25 disc swap.

I see the cables at the link but am a little confused when you say "There are different lengths available, so you can measure exactly what you need and pick what works for you".

Sorry Ralph, I sent the wrong link. The one I included is to the exact cable I used, but this link (https://goo.gl/eWAc8u) is to the parent item with different options.

The G2 site also has a list of lengths and part numbers (https://goo.gl/kqfb78) so that is another way you could find what you're after. Hopefully that clears things up

Thank you for clearing that up. I get that the specific ones you used are at the first link. But both sides?

Also guessing that the length you used for a 2dr would not be the same as a 4dr. Thanks for the links. They get filed with the zillion other things Jeep. LOL.

Yeah, I was able to use the same cable on both sides. I can't say what would work for anyone else, since I always read that the passenger and driver sides are different, but my cables were the same length from the factory, and using just one part number worked for me. Definitely measure your own truck though, so many things that should be standardized aren't always...

Yeah, I was able to use the same cable on both sides. I can't say what would work for anyone else, since I always read that the passenger and driver sides are different, but my cables were the same length from the factory, and using just one part number worked for me. Definitely measure your own truck though, so many things that should be standardized aren't always...

That is what I always thought about the cable lengths. Which is why I was a little confused.

I have poked around doing research about this swap. But not in depth. One thing that I seem to see is how people are hooking up the parking brake cables. Not really liking the solutions I have seen. Again just poking around about this. Some people cut them and use something like this:

https://www.zoro.com/primeline-cable-clamp-steel-38-clamping-dia-pr-gd-12253/i/G0613903/

My OCD won't let me do that. I do this and it has to be nice and neat. Plus I am either hoping to find a 8.25 3.55 Factory LSD rear or grab an open 8.25 3.55 rear out of the boneyard and put one. Of course do the swap at the same time. So if and when this happens I will reseach this swap more thoroughly. Also want to go from a Command Trac transfer case to a Select A Trac. My '00 is just a DD. Thinking this would serve me well on the roads when it snows.

Got the D44 dehorned with hours of grinding & finishing off with wire wheel.

LSD clutch pack clip had come out and so metal shavings in the bearings.

Yanked the chunk and dropped housing off at powder coat for some tough paint.

Axle shaft grooves polished out nice.

IMG_4905_zpsux9s5coh.jpg

IMG_4920_zpsdtjmxltn.jpg

I still haven't decided on rear disc brakes as seems most have problems with holding power.

Got tracking # from Alcan springs for Excursion front axle stretch... so hope to kick this project off in couple weeks.

Daughter been good help in shop finishing up Excursion.
She laid out some of the build parts & asked "how we gonna fit all that in the Jeep" :)

IMG_4939_zpsibcn20b6.jpg

IMG_4940_zpsvksy7vff.jpg

Nice selection of parts!! I can't wait to see how you fit that Double DIN Alpine HU in her XJ. :) Been thinking about doing that to my '01 XJ for a while now... my old Alpine Single DIN HU is due for an upgrade.

Picked the ILX-107 as not having dvd makes the chassis shorter, so less depth required.
Radio also let’s you control 8 relays which means no switches.

Hopefully won’t have to cut A/C duct work.

I’ve got real good stereo install guy lined up make bezel look good... as haven’t been able to find anyone making bezel.

Not many people think of adding a flashlight to there build. A streamlight at that. Good choice

We live in deep dark woods so I’ve hardwired the same flashlight in all vehicles.
One of those always there when needed.

Steam light is so intensely bright, guess she could use as self defense.

I’m waiting to see what you think about those iron man adjustable leaf spring shackles

What are you using for rear leafs?

Searched and didn’t find very much info on the Iron Man adjustable shackles, so will definitely keep everyone posted. First impression is they plenty beefy.
I’ve got 36” crescent wrench 🔧 to lighten the jamb nut & locktight.... so shouldn’t come loose when flexing.

Plan on rear is get front lift done with weight of winch adjusted where tires clear ( maybe ACOS ) then order Alcan springs.

I linked guys “No Comprise” build earlier in this thread that wasn’t happy with Metalcloak kit... as rear jacked up on 3.5” ARB springs, even after pulling a leaf.

Pet peeve of mine to have level stance.

Back