• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble starting after initial startup

XJFever

NAXJA Forum User
I don't really know where to start if I were to search the forums, otherwise I would have. This seems to happen whether its parked outside in the cold, or in my garage. Oh, and they happen every now and then, not all the time. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 motor-nothing really is modified on it, other than adding the k&n air filter.

I auto start the Jeep up, and let it run. By accident, I step on the brake, which shuts the engine off. When I try and start it back up, it cranks and cranks but will only start if i pump the gas pedal-I have to keep revving the engine for about a minute or two for the engine to actually stay running. (Meanwhile, the fumes coming out the exhaust, look very white).

The other times the same problem happens is when the battery dies(left my lights on overnight while parked in the garage). I jumped it using another battery, but it would crank and crank and start up, but as soon as I left off the key, it sputters and shuts off. I then have to use the same steps as above for it to start up and stay running.

It only seems to happen when I auto start and accidentally shut it off, or let the battery drain.

When you say auto start are you referring to an aftermarket remote start system for the XJ? If so, that's definitely a modification away from stock. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it could be part of the issue. There's a brake switch sensor on the brake pedal that could be incorporated into an aftermarket auto start system. I'm no wiring expert but it seems feasible.

Does the Jeep overheat at all or consume any coolant? I'm asking because your mentioning of white smoke. What condition is the oil in? If you pull the oil cap how does it look? No milkshake action there? What condition are your battery cables in? Jeeps do not respond well to dirty or corroded grounds or battery cables. You might try cleaning them and/or refreshing your grounds to make sure you've got a good starting point. Also, have you had the battery load tested?

Last edited:
If the battery drains and has to be jumped, it can get enough juice to START the engine, but the battery is still weak enough to give the engine management system fits and create a stalling symptom. Stalling is VERY common with a marginal battery.

LOAD TEST the battery and figure out techniques that don't result in battery draining, which could be the root cause here.

When you say auto start are you referring to an aftermarket remote start system for the XJ? If so, that's definitely a modification away from stock. I'm not saying that's your problem, but it could be part of the issue. There's a brake switch sensor on the brake pedal that could be incorporated into an aftermarket auto start system. I'm no wiring expert but it seems feasible.

Does the Jeep overheat at all or consume any coolant? I'm asking because your mentioning of white smoke. What condition is the oil in? If you pull the oil cap how does it look? No milkshake action there? What condition are your battery cables in? Jeeps do not respond well to dirty or corroded grounds or battery cables. You might try cleaning them and/or refreshing your grounds to make sure you've got a good starting point. Also, have you had the battery load tested?

Yea it has an aftermarket remote start that is hooked up to the brake wire. I don't think it has anything to do with that- the fact that it wouldn't start with the key after I accidentally pressed on the brake.
Someone was telling me it could be the mass air flow sensor?
Anyways, the only thing wrong with the cooling system, I believe, is the leak I have in the heater core. I haven't replaced it yet, so I do have to add antifreeze every so often. The oil cap is in good condiion and oil color looks decently brown. The white smoke has a very strong smell of gas, like the engine was flooded after me pumping the gas to get it going. Oh, and battery cables are good, and a couple months ago I tested the battery at a shop and they said it was good(optima redtop).

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Ok. Instead of pumping the pedal, hold it to the floor and then crank the engine over--that is "clear flood" mode. Post up what happens.

No MAF (mass air flow sensor) on the XJs. MAP--manifold air pressure and MAT--manifold air temperature sensors instead.

Ok. Instead of pumping the pedal, hold it to the floor and then crank the engine over--that is "clear flood" mode. Post up what happens.

No MAF (mass air flow sensor) on the XJs. MAP--manifold air pressure and MAT--manifold air temperature sensors instead.
Well I guess I have to wait til it happens again to try that method out. Ill update it once I do.

So it happened again this morning-i parked outside last night and it got cold... down to the single digits. It wouldn't start so I jumped it with a.other battery and held down the gas and it started but died as soon as I let off. I had to keep it revving for lime 30 seconds for it to stay running(sounded like crap, also smelled really strong of gas after that). This time I did notice the little charcoal tab on top of the optima was soaked in maybe acid?

Im gonna have to get the battery checked out later. Could my jeep also be running to rich? How would I figure that out?

Im gonna have to get the battery checked out later.

Yes you are. Life starts with the battery. You shouldn't have to be jumping your vehicle.

Have you seen a check engine light? Even if you haven't, it wouldn't hurt to pull the codes and see if there are any "stored" codes that can help give you a clue as to possible issues.

How fresh is your tuneup hardware? Always a good idea to review this when symptomatic. That includes plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter.

Yeah, sounds like the battery is gone. If you are losing power overnight then the PCM is resetting to base line. Add in extreme temps and that could be the root of your issues.

Yeah, sounds like the battery is gone. If you are losing power overnight then the PCM is resetting to base line. Add in extreme temps and that could be the root of your issues.

I agree with Joe on tha battery being the issue. It's common to have to hold the pedel down for a bit with a couple of blips of the throttle to get the PCM to relearn the TPS signal. Also check the grounds from the block to the body and the body to the battery. It could also be the TPS but I'm betting the battery or bad ground.

Back