• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy duty heim joints a thing?

bleedsblue

NAXJA Forum User
Good evening.
I have a Rough Country long arm lift on my WJ. I have had both front heim joints on the lower control arms go out. I called RC and they promptly sent me two new ones. The rears are now gone. The kit has only been on the Jeep for a year. I have put a lot of miles, mostly in the dirt on it this year. I dont have a part number for the joint as I was not provided with one from RC but I kept the old ones. Is there such a thing as a heavy duty heim joint that will last longer or is this typical?

Thanks,

Will

I do keep up on maintenance with them.

I need to clarify my question. I must have been too tired. The RC is 1 1/4" 12 RH thread, 2.625" width housing and takes a 9/16" bolt. The threaded shank is 5 1/4" long. I would really like to replace these with the Currie RockJock joints. The CE-9114 seems to fit the bill except for the threaded shank length. I am running just over 6" of lift and I need the longer shank.

So, to clarify, who makes heavy duty joints with a longer thread shank?

Just to close the loop on this. I spoke with a gentlemen at Rock Jock today about Johnny Joints. He said they just had a conversation about building a joint specifically to replace the RC flex joints last week. He believes they will start producing them this year. He recommended a couple of companies which I called to no avail. I ended up buying some Barnes Eduro joints. They have to be better than the RC joints.

Would be great if Rock Jock starts making a replacement. I've got an RC long arm on my XJ, and while the Johnny Joints are tight right now, I'm sure they will eventually wear out.

One question for you - do the RC brand Johnny Joints have any sort of lash adjustment? I thought I saw an indication of a threaded lash adjustment on mine.

Throughout my research I have read there have been several different styles of flex joints RC has used. I can only speak to the ones I have. I bought this kit a year ago and they do not have any sort of adjustment. The replacements they have sent me do not either. I'll go take some pics right now.

So it is a really simple joint. Pulled the snap ring, removed the washer, and pulled the guts out.
10209a57ddb9c82f9aa2a63bcb424b70.jpg
3c623ba80066f68ccedfdd2b7cefba1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The only metal inside is the ball and the washer/snap ring. And then this small piece of hard plastic.
841d77abc4ab03a135a0aa6be4ae5392.jpg
211f1220aea2d584646687d0d1f3caf9.jpg

Nice. Can you post the part number for this? Also, are you willing to open it up to see how it looks on the inside?

My front radius arm setup has a small and large Johnny Joint. Does yours also have this, and if so, are you replacing those too?

B4WEJR16-9
I didnt order their disassembly tool. So no on taking it apart but their website has a video showing how to rebuild it that shows the insides. I haven't given the small flex joints on the UCA that much thought yet. I wanted to have these in hand to see what I thought first. I will now be ordering more to replace the rest. Do you have the specs for the smaller joints?

Thanks on the part number. Listed below is the info I have on the small (upper) and large (lower) Johnny Joints on my RC front radius arms. Looking at it again now, it appears I decided that one of the Currie Rock Jock joints would work for both the big and small. I guess for your set up you need an extra long threaded section?

o Factory dimensions are:
 Uppers: 3/4 x 16 with 2" width and uses stock 10mm bolts.
 Lowers: 1-1/4 x 12 with 2-9/16 width and uses 9/16 bolt

o Replacement items:
 Upper arm: Currie CE-9112SP
 Lower arm: Currie CE-9114L-21

Back