• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speaker upgrade w/ stock head unit?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
So the speakers in my '91 need to be replaced. I'm looking for info and suggestions.

I would like to keep the stock head unit. I like how it looks and I enjoy the sound of cassettes.

Here's what I'm after:

• Must work with stock head unit
  • Must keep my interior as stock looking as possible
  • Must handle synthwave type music

Does anyone know anything about the specs of the stock head unit?

What speakers, if any, have you had success with?

For form, fit, and function I like my Polk's. I put them in the doors and the rear over-head sound bar.

@RCP - Cool. I saw the polk's on amazon had a lot of good reviews. Not sure how many of those were paid for though. Was looking at Polk Audio DB651 for the tailgate.

From what I understand the stock stereo is less then 10 RMS per channel. I would try and pick a speaker with an RMS between 0 and 50. Kenwood, Infinity and JBL have good selections.

depends how much you wanna spend, polk, JBL are good. if you wanna spend some money Focal is top notch. I have pioneer and JBL in mine, but all my stuff is powered and aftermarket.

Cool. What are you running for the front doors?

These are in the front doors -- fit just fine

I'm doing headliner repair right now so only the 2 speakers are in -- have a 2nd set ready for the rear once I put the headliner back in.

gonna be hard to beat these at $55 a pair -- read some reviews -- there are lots with very few being negative

Back