• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RHD AC Evap and heater core?

RudeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a right hand drive 2000 XJ (we drive on the correct side of the road down here ;) and after a year of putting denying and denying its very clear that my A/C evaporator is leaking.

I had it topped up with freon a month ago and most of its gone and pressure is low, but cant find a leak anywhere.

Question is wether the heater core and AC evaporator is different between LHD and RHD vehicles...My AC sits on the opposite side to all you lefties and after watching video's of this horror job, it seems possible that there is a difference, but cant find info online.

Well, I looked at Rockauto.com and found the following comment.

"Please note that these evaporators, unless noted, are designed for left hand drive (North American) vehicles only. Right hand drive vehicles have different connections for the evaporator."

Go here - https://xjjeeps.com/ - and download the Parts Catalog and a Service Manual. In parts group 24, the 2000 catalog does not seem to show a RHD A/C Evaporator Kit, but the 1999 catalog does. There is are RHD and LHD heater core also. B and U in the LINE column designate RHD.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help...had a look online and its tricky to find, might just be easier to have both hearer core and AC evap re-cored locally.

I am seriously dreading this job...the worst thing is, I can see the dash has been taken off the jeep before, I think to replace the heater core, as that still works great...but in South Africa I really dont need to be any hotter.

The job isn't really that difficult, it just takes some time and care to make sure you don't break anything, or forget to re-assemble everything correctly. Plan on 4-6 hours to completely disassemble, and about 2-4 hours to re-assemble.

So you drive on the correct side of the road huh? And can't find parts? Now you want all the wrong help? Good luck!! Everything steering and dash are different!

Back