• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jalopnik: The Top Ten Preppiest Cars

casm

NAXJA Forum User
04ED9.jpg

Jalopnik ran a list of the Top Ten Preppiest Cars today. While the article didn't do a whole lot for me, I thought I'd share its most redeeming feature.

(The FSJ came in at number 8, for anyone wanting the executive summary.)

It looks like they took the first 10 suggestions given to them and wrote some bs about them.

That would be Jalopnik's usual MO, yes.

There's a reason why they're not taken particularly seriously by print media (read: actual motoring writers).

I'm not seeing the correlation

Navy skirt, socks, and tie, white blouse and shoes? Looks OK on a school girl.

edit: just looked at the link.
How did the YJ/TJ not end up on the list?
Lincoln town car? Preppy? 'Cause everyone knows taxi's are preppy!
Range Rover? What?

Last edited:
I can understand Range Rovers. I once watched a horrible show called "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and the obnoxious, unbelievably spoiled brat asked her dad for a Range Rover. And she got it.

All the lil preppy kids around here drive Range Rovers, Porshe' and F350s with 6 feet of lift and 37 shocks on the back axle. You can't pass Emerald High School without wanting to kill some parent.

Wow, South Carolina must have changed a LOT since the last time I rolled through there,...

If I was on sweet 16 I would ask for a 1970 440 superbird.

So the old Grand Wagoneer is two of the ten? HUH?

It probably was one of the preppiest cars around, 25 or 30 years ago.

I grew up in Northwest Connecticut surrounded by preppies, and the girl in the first photo doesn't look very preppy to me. She looks like a cocktail waitress.

So the old Grand Wagoneer is two of the ten? HUH?

No, just one. They did use it for both the lead photo and its position in the list, though.

It probably was one of the preppiest cars around, 25 or 30 years ago.

I'd argue that there's still some truth to that, though - I know two people with Grand Wagoneers that they bought new in the late '80s / early '90s, and their kids (who were preppie then) have preppie kids of their own now who want the FSJs as their first cars.

I grew up in Northwest Connecticut surrounded by preppies, and the girl in the first photo doesn't look very preppy to me. She looks like a cocktail waitress.

More specifically, a cocktail waitress at a marina. I'm not complaining, though :D

No, just one. They did use it for both the lead photo and its position in the list, though.
My mistake, sort of. Not used to a top ten list of eleven, in which position 1 is zero and position 4 is 3.
I'd argue that there's still some truth to that, though - I know two people with Grand Wagoneers that they bought new in the late '80s / early '90s, and their kids (who were preppie then) have preppie kids of their own now who want the FSJs as their first cars.
I'm more used to rust belt preppies, and they don't drive rusted out beaters.
More specifically, a cocktail waitress at a marina. I'm not complaining, though :D
No complaints here either. Preppy women aren't my cup of tea anyway!

Back