• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo Gear for 01 with 31" tires

Cherokee Yellow

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I did a search, but I can't find what I am looking for. I have an 01 sport, and have just added 31" tires, so my speedo needs to be re-geared. Is it true that I need the 31 tooth, which is the same one used in the 01 wrangler, or is that totally wrong? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

My 99, with 31" are only 2 miles per hour faster than the speedo reads. I check it on a radar section of the highway. No need for me to re-gear.

steveareno said:
My 99, with 31" are only 2 miles per hour faster than the speedo reads. I check it on a radar section of the highway. No need for me to re-gear.

You know, mine didn't really seem much different, but I thought for sure it was more than that. Good to know though, thanks!!

xj_mike said:
Since most people are going to say "Search", I'll give you a hand and help you out. This link should get you all the info you need.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm#chart

Good luck.

Thank you for the link!! According to this chart I need a 32, however, I've also read that I need a 31. Is there going to be a noticeable difference between the two? Has anyone else used a 31? Thanks again!!

steveareno said:

I checked mine against a GPS unit and had about the same differance... only about 2-3 MPH differant at 70 Miles per hour.

Jeff

31 or 32-tooth gear will work. I ran a 31-tooth in my rig with 31's.

You'll need to order part number 52067632 to get the 32-tooth gear (just change the last 2 digits to the tooth count to get different gears). If you go up to the parts dept and ask for a 32-tooth speedometer gear for an XJ (or a TJ), they'll probably look at you funny and won't be able to find it in their computer.

Jeepin Jason said:

You'll need to order part number 52067632 to get the 32-tooth gear (just change the last 2 digits to the tooth count to get different gears). If you go up to the parts dept and ask for a 32-tooth speedometer gear for an XJ (or a TJ), they'll probably look at you funny and won't be able to find it in their computer.

Yeah, when I called the parts desk, he had no idea what I wanted until I explained it to him. Thanks for the info!!

Mine is only about a tenth or three off at 55/60mph. Have never been able to check to a radar at anything over 35/40mph though. At that speed it seems to be right on.

Jeepin Jason said:

I used the chart xj mike linked to, 32 tooth gear dealer shows it as being for Dakota or something, but is the right one. I verified it by GPS and it was pretty well on the money.

Randy

Back