• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder Wall Worn down on outside?

GoliathJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have my block stripped down and when I took off the water pump last night there was a worn down spot on the very front cylinder right behind where the water pump impeller sits. I checked the back of the water pump and there were no signs of where it had been rubbing but that could have been just that the first owner replaced it. Is this something from the factory for clearance or did my water pump do this? Also what is the most that you recommend boring this block. The walls are wore down a little bit so it needs it and I also want it to be align honed with a torque plate. Help.

GoliathJeeper said:
Hey I have my block stripped down and when I took off the water pump last night there was a worn down spot on the very front cylinder right behind where the water pump impeller sits. I checked the back of the water pump and there were no signs of where it had been rubbing but that could have been just that the first owner replaced it. Is this something from the factory for clearance or did my water pump do this? Also what is the most that you recommend boring this block. The walls are wore down a little bit so it needs it and I also want it to be align honed with a torque plate. Help.

normal for clearence, my 96 and the 89 that built were like that, I think its a casting thing, when i stroked the 96 i went .60 over and the 89 was just a rebuild at .40 over.

Back