• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Valley/Panamint valley Late DEC trip?

twinhauler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hello everyone.
I am really wanting to go explore a new spot Around December 26-30th, 4 to 5 days. Was Thinking Panamint Valley/Death Valley looks really cool and Interesting. There are easy trails and tough trails. Defense Mine/ trail looks like a must, also racetrack playa. Yes I know that is a lot of area to cover but just thinking the desert might be a good spot to check out. I know the desert can and will be cold at night so maybe camp few nights and hotel a night or two.
Was just seeing if anyone has been down in that area in winter and if they know of any must see spots? Would you recommend Death Valley/ Panamint Valley? All are welcome to come join for a overland trip! any input would be great.

I very much recommend Panamint Valley and Death Valley. Lots of stuff to see, and trails range from easy to nearly impossible. I get out there usually three times a year. My XJ lives out there.

My son also is working at Panamint Springs Resort. I would suggest using PSR as a base camp, and taking day runs from there. While Death Valley is certainly better known, there is more wheeling available in Panamint Valley. And yes, Defense Mine / Lookout City is a worthwhile destination. Hunter Mountain/Hidden Valley/Racetrack/Lippincott/South Pass is also a great day run, but a fairly long day. In winter, because of the shorter days, and the need to be at the Racetrack in later afternoon for good pictures, you will be getting home in the dark. That's where PSRs restaurant comes in real handy. Of course, their 13 beers on tap, and 180 varieties in bottles helps as well.

My son, Noah, is always up to go on runs, and show folks around the valley. He works in the restaurant, generally mornings. PSR has motel units, tent sites, tent cabins and full RV hookups. The place is very basic, but the folks are great that work there. Do be prepared for sticker shock on fuel, but at least it exists. PSR is 48 miles from the nearest power pole, so the cost of doing business out there is higher than normal.

Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try to remember to watch this thread. I'll be out there for Thanksgiving, as always, but can't make it for Christmas.

You should be able to see all of Panamint Valley in about 6 months, so 4 days might limit you a bit.

David Bricker / SYR

Shit. Bad time for me. Buddy has a cabin/mansion from his dad somewhere intahoe that week....

Panamint Springs resort is a bit of a haul from Death Valley. I stayed in Beatty Nevada. Pretty much a crappy little town but it is very close to Death Valley. About a half hour closer to DV than Panamint Springs and doesn't include a 10% grade to climb from PV to DV.

Buy a guidebook for Death Valley and stick to the plan because it is very spread out and you can waste quite a bit of time driving from spot to spot. Scotty's castle is a nice afternoon destination for a easy day with the family. The racetrack is cool and worth the drive but I doubt I would go back. The road out there isn't bad if you drive 40mph but watch for slow moving groups. Mosaic Canyon was a cool spot to hike, and Titus Canyon was a highlight of my trip even though I never made it all the way through.

Panamint Valley is great, but man is it spread out. Jail Canyon, and Defense mine/Lookout City are the 2 spots I say you shouldn't miss. There are many other things to see and do but those are the best. Camping near the base of Surprise Canyon just past Ballarat is a nice spot. Also, don't forget to check the Trona Pinnacles on the way in/out of Panamint Valley.

My trip report thread from April.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1120051

Scotty's castle is a nice afternoon destination for a easy day with the family.

Scotty's Castle is closed indefinitely, due to flash flooding. The road is also currently missing. West Side road is also closed, effectively making it impossible to get to the bulk of the Death Valley wheeling. Cottonwood Canyon, Hole in the Wall are also closed.

Panamint Valley also got hit by the rains, but not quite as bad. Defense/Lookout City should be fine, my son just ran Hunter Mountain/Racetrack/Lippincott/south Pass, and it's passable. Goler Wash is somewhat of a mess, and since West Side Rd is closed, you can't make a loop of it.

David Bricker / SYR

We have stayed at Panamint Springs Resort three times and simply drive in to the DV area for wheeling and adventures. You will not find a better place to sit and watch the sunset while kicking back from a day in the valley. Racetrack Playa is a long, bumpy road but well worth the trip. Titus Canyon is amazing and a must do. Plan at least 3 hours to enjoy that trail.

I'm heading to Panamint Valley Days this Fri-Sun with Cal4Wheel and will try out some of those trails with the LJ. I'll post up on the condition of the runs I do when I return.

We have stayed at Panamint Springs Resort three times and simply drive in to the DV area for wheeling and adventures. You will not find a better place to sit and watch the sunset while kicking back from a day in the valley. Racetrack Playa is a long, bumpy road but well worth the trip. Titus Canyon is amazing and a must do. Plan at least 3 hours to enjoy that trail.

I'm heading to Panamint Valley Days this Fri-Sun with Cal4Wheel and will try out some of those trails with the LJ. I'll post up on the condition of the runs I do when I return.

If you make it to PVD, say hi to my son, Noah. He and Rubiblue, I believe, are leading one of the runs up Pleasant Canyon. I don't get to PSR until Monday, the 23rd, so will miss PVD.

I hear South Park is pretty beat up. Might make for an interesting trip over the Thanksgiving weekend.

David Bricker / SYR

If you make it to PVD, say hi to my son, Noah. He and Rubiblue, I believe, are leading one of the runs up Pleasant Canyon. I don't get to PSR until Monday, the 23rd, so will miss PVD.

I hear South Park is pretty beat up. Might make for an interesting trip over the Thanksgiving weekend.

David Bricker / SYR

Very cool. Pleasant Canyon is my number 1 pick because it is hosted by the club I have been wheeling with for the past 3 years.

Very cool. Pleasant Canyon is my number 1 pick because it is hosted by the club I have been wheeling with for the past 3 years.

Gear Grinders? I am a member there, as well as my son.

David Bricker / SYR

Thank you all for the great info and tips, much appreciated! I wish it was closer I estimated 7.5 hours to get there from bay area. So have to factor that in and what days would work. I did just look up that flash flooding info from october so thats a factor too.... I am gonna keep checking my map and list of spots I do want to see and go from there. Thanks again. Please let me know how panamint valley days was!

I wish it was closer I estimated 7.5 hours to get there from bay area.

I feel your pain. It's only 3000 miles for me. 7 hours of airplanes, and 4 hours of driving. But, I'm not complaining, other than three times a year is not enough.

David Bricker / SYR

Please let me know how panamint valley days was!

PVD was a blast. Great weather, tons of Wranglers and a few XJs, and a good raffle. I actually won a $200 gift certificate from Tuffy Security Products, so I'll buy a lockable box or overhead console for the Wrangler.

I ran Pleasant Canyon with my 12 y/o son and we had a great time. The trail can be run by a stock rig with 31's but the scenery made it worth the trip. Amazing views of Death Valley and Panamint Valley and fun hills to climb. I'll likely do that trip again soon. I'd post pics here, but you'll find more with Google.

Stovepipe Wells in DV is ok. Cheap camping with acsess to showers and saloon. There are rooms there as well and gas was about $.30 cheaper than furnace creek last year. Not sure what trails are around there, didn't take the jeep. I believe Titus is nearby, and racetrack is about 60 miles. With scottys castle being effectively washed away, not even sure if you can get to Ubehebe Crater to turn off for racetrack. I haven't really explored panamint other than a few geology trips to mines or odd canyons.

Back