NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 29th, 2017, 18:09
NAXJA Member

Coyote internal beadlocks or weld on beadlocks?

I'm getting ready to install beadlocks on the MJ and I'm tossed up on what style to go with.

If I go with the internal style I can use my existing rims and not alter the width of the truck. Just not too sure about relying on the tubes holding up.

If I go with weld on beadlocks I'd get the .250" thick version, so I have no doubt that they will be pretty rugged. The only downfall is that I would have to get new rims because of the existing rock rings. If I install just outers I can stick with my current backspacing. But if do inners & outers then I will have to go with less backspacing to allow space for brake caliper and tie rod clearance. This will widen out the stance a bit, and I really like it the way it is.

I'm looking for opinions on Internal vs. outer vs. inner & outer beadlocks.
Old August 29th, 2017, 20:24
NAXJA Member

Re: Coyote internal beadlocks or weld on beadlocks?

I really like my weld on beadlocks. Only downside is I feel like they're kinda heavy, and I only went with the 3/16" version. I think inner and outer weld on beadlocks would be a lot of weight and a pia to the mount the tire.
Old August 29th, 2017, 21:10
Sarge <3 Ben

No complaints with my stauns (coyote).

Been running them for around 4 years, tubes and all parts were used when I installed them at that time. Installing with 40" mtrs on 17" wheels was really not much more work than bolt type beadlocks. One of my tubes just popped recently, but they could be 10 years old for all I know??

One big advantage to the inner lock style...both beads locked. I have literally run them at 1psi with no issues.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with them. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
88 MJ on 40's. 98 XJ on 35's. 01 XJ, 2wd, bone stock. 99 XJ, parts rig. 98 Dodge, 52psi of boost. 94 Miata LS4. 70 Buick GS455. 01 Harley, been to 46 states. 05 KTM, 576cc. 06 Husky 450, Kims 2011 R6, Kims. 99 Toyota Avalon, daily. 97 Miata, Kims.
And everything fits in the garage!
Kill yourself, or die trying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:12
XJholic

Ever thought about B.A.D wheels?
Old August 30th, 2017, 16:37
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Ever thought about B.A.D wheels?
Nice wheels but at $586 per wheel with rock rings they are way out of my price range.
Old August 30th, 2017, 17:52
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the info, its a sizable expense either way so I'll have to do some more research before making a decision. Hopefully I can make up my mind and get some coming in within the next couple weeks or so.