NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Non-Tech / Off Topic
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Non-Tech / Off Topic The popular Non-Tech Forum. NO SPAM at all. Period.

Old September 17th, 2012, 18:09
NAXJA Member

uphill gas mileage and engine displacement

So we all know small engine's struggle more up hill, but is there a point where a v8(20mpg ish) is more efficient than a 4cyl(40mpg ish).
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:33
Sarge <3 Ben

Re: uphill gas mileage and engine displacement

I don't believe there is that point on the highway. Someone can feel free to correct me, but it takes a defined amount of power to move a defined amount of weight up a hill. So for any given situation in like vehicles, the four cylinder is likely to have enough power to move the truck up the hill, where as the v8 will likely always have an excess amount of power. Even if the 4 banger doesn't have enough power, the truck slows down, changes gears, or whatever.

That would be for highway type driving of course, the power required to accelrate the vehicle to a given speed could easily be more than the 4 cylinder can handle, so it would be working at peak output for much longer than the v8 to achieve the same speed. Depending on the number of stop and go's in a given trip, the overworked four cylinder can get worse mileage.

This is all my 20 seconds of thought, so who knows?
Old September 19th, 2012, 17:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: uphill gas mileage and engine displacement

I think you will need to find the specific fuel consumptions of the v8 at X RPM needed to maintain a given speed and the 4 cyl at Y RPM needed to maintain the same speed.

I see what you're getting at, the MPG of a v8 at 2000 RPM vs a 4 cyl at 3500 RPM (random made up numbers.)

~Alex