NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 27th, 2018, 17:29
NAXJA Member

Re: Hood vent design debate

The way I see it, they're not some be all end all thing. But if they offer some relief for whatever then I'll take that. If the stock cooling system is fine then you don't need that high dollar aluminum radiator and high flow water pump right?

I have a small set of vents on mine. Been on there for like 10 years. Ive lost 1 tps in that time a couple years ago. And yea the vents get insanely hot. After a quick drive the whole hood can be covered in snow except for the vents.
Old April 27th, 2018, 21:25
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
Classic embrittlement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrittlement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therma...on_of_polymers

The chalky surface is usually the first sign. Look at most of the plastic under the hood of your Jeep and you'll probably see similar signs. Good thing you caught it when you did, that was a fire waiting to happen.

You could leave plastic underwater indefinitely without harm other than just time.

Did you have hood vents?
Good info...

Yes I have hood vents over top of the injectors. I guessed the water ran down the injectors where the black and blue plastic meet. Once the rust started it expanded radially cracking the plastic. But if this can happen without vents, I can't explain it other than embrittlement from heat.
Old April 29th, 2018, 17:09
NAXJA Forum User

How about simply popping the hood when stopped when it is hot? add a spacer as needed, tennis ball maybe. just besure to secure before driving away! Maybe extend the safety catch length to allow it to still be effective with hood raised in front an inch or two, just incase you forget to close it all the way.

For slow offroading, pop the hood when driving, maybe add some hood pins to secure front of hood in slightlyraised position so it dont bounce when offroading. then remember to put hood closed for highway use? I assume a slighty open hood would reduce airflow thru radiator when on the highway, but would not be a problem for slow offroad driving.

Viable option or stupid idea?
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
How about simply popping the hood when stopped when it is hot? add a spacer as needed, tennis ball maybe. just besure to secure before driving away! Maybe extend the safety catch length to allow it to still be effective with hood raised in front an inch or two, just incase you forget to close it all the way.

For slow offroading, pop the hood when driving, maybe add some hood pins to secure front of hood in slightlyraised position so it dont bounce when offroading. then remember to put hood closed for highway use? I assume a slighty open hood would reduce airflow thru radiator when on the highway, but would not be a problem for slow offroad driving.

I tried it, didn't seem to work well. I think the fans are helped a little by the proximity of the hood. The air leaving the fans would have to make a 180* turn to leave as well, and any heatsoak from the motor would have to cross the air curtain from the fans to leave.
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:24
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
For slow offroading, pop the hood when driving, maybe add some hood pins to secure front of hood in slightlyraised position so it dont bounce when offroading.
The Latched hood acts as a sheer panel. Personally I would leave it latched off road.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old May 11th, 2018, 18:09
NAXJA Forum User

Hood vents are for dissipating heat to help with preventing heat soak, Not for engine cooling.
If people want to laugh that's on them, I'm sure the laughers do stupid things too that make others laugh at them behind their back.
Besides we don't get enough rain in AZ southern to matter.
Old May 13th, 2018, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy57 View Post
Hood vents are for dissipating heat to help with preventing heat soak, Not for engine cooling.
If people want to laugh that's on them, I'm sure the laughers do stupid things too that make others laugh at them behind their back.
Besides we don't get enough rain in AZ southern to matter.
But the same engineers who threw the D35 in the XJ designed the cooling system!
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:35
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
But the same engineers who threw the D35 in the XJ designed the cooling system!
And the hinge setup on the two door.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old May 16th, 2018, 16:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
And the hinge setup on the two door.
and an aluminum steering box spacer