• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxiliary Electric Fan

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Had my fan in the 00 blow out a few chunks of the blade the other day. Looking on rockAuto there are several different versions and prices points. Are the cheaper ones good quality or do you just stick with the mopar fan?

TYC: $44
GPD: $47
APDI/PRO: $54
Four Seasons: $59
Spectra: $78
Mopar $290-334

I just bought this one for my '00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I did my water pump and one of the tabs is busted on my fan. Has been since the day I bought the Jeep. Been gluing it, and it really does not hold, but it really was fine. Problem is it just annoys me.

Couple things I found out. It does not look like a factory fan as shown in the picture. That kind of bothered me. Cause a dumb idea I had was using my fan in that housing. Looks like mine still might swap in there anyway. Might give it a go at some point.

Also the pigtail off the fan was long. At first I was WTF on that too. Know how they use one of those plastic tabs attached to the connector to secure it in a hole. Well I found a hole farther away down by the headlight to secure it to. Turns out this might be better cause I have more wire to move the fan out of the way without disconnecting it. I try not to play with connectors when ever possible. 20 year old brittle plastic and all.

Also the tabs at the bottom have these ridges. Starting narrower at the bottom and getting bigger as they go up. They secure the fan in the slots nicely and think cause those metal clips like on the factory ones are not used there is less of a chance to bust a tab if you do remove it. That is what might have happened to mine. First thing I did to the Jeep was replace the radiator all those year ago. Not aware of the metal clips and yanked it out. Had I know about the clips would have gotten under there with some pliers and gave them a squeeze before pulling up on it.

It seems to work as it should. Does come with a lifetime warranty. Which really does you no good if you have to replace it every other week but again so far so good.

To see some shots, I don't use a 3rd party thing so can't post any here, read Post #90959.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/what-did-you-do-your-cherokee-today-145940/index6064/

I've used the TYC version on 2 different cherokees -- Fit fine, work fine -- one has been in for over a year the other was very recent with little miles

I bought a mail order fan, sent it back, the brand I dont recall. The blade to shroud gap was huge compared to stock, thus a loss in efficiency. The electrical connector although it looked right, was too big to fit the other end on the chassis.

I thought Id swap my old shroud to the new fan, but they were not compatible, so back it went. chinese junk!

I sourced a good used fan from the wrecker. Nice original type, but off a later cherokee so I got fancy curved fan blades.

Last year I bought a VDO and was very impressed with it. I thought I got it from RA but I don't see it listed.

TYC is in and seems fine. The Factory fan has about 60% glass fiber in the plastic. The TYC has some Glass Fiber but no stamping to tell exactly how much.

Back