• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jumper cables to upgrade stock battery cables

Alopanec

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever use jumper cables as upgraded battery cables? my stock battery cables are corroded pretty bad and i have an extra set of jumpers i got from autozone one Christmas. I was thinking of using it to replace my old battery cables, it would just cost me a few dollars in solder and copper connectors what do you guys think? i was looking at some of the kits but they want 100 dollars plus for them not trying to be a cheap skate but id like to get it done for as cheap as i can. whats your guys opinions?

Not a good idea, unless you can verify the composition of the insulation on the jumper cables. Look for the gauge markings on the insulation (probably just an embossed printing that is next to invisible to the naked eye) and see what else is stamped in there along with the gauge. If you can tell that it is "Primary Wire", or a cross linked type, then maybe it would be worth proceeding.

Here is a quick look at some common automotive wire types and their three letter designations which you would be looking for: https://www.awcwire.com/faq-automotive-wire

There are issues of abrasion, temperature resistance and oil resistance which automotive wire must be able to withstand, but not jumper cables. Jumper cables are not intended to be a permanent installation and as such are not likely to be designed to withstand everything that is going to be thrown at a wire that is permanently installed.

And imagine what happens if you short out your battery cables. There is no fuse in place to protect you from that situation.

If you want to build your own you would be better off going to Napa and buying new cable by the foot. They will have the right material, and probably a selection of gauges.

Sourcing the right crimper and the heat shrink with the glue inside would be a good idea too, but once you get to that point you are probably better off just ordering a set of custom made battery cables from someone who is already set up to build them. OTOH, depending on where you are located, there may be someone around who has the tools and would be willing to lend you a hand. There was a crimper sold in the SoCal "For Sale" section a couple of years back. It wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Anybody know how to get ahold of 590 hes a member on here seems to really know his stuff id like to purchase my cables from him

He dropped off the radar a number of years ago, poked in briefly a couple of years ago and hasn't been heard from since.

I do not think you would be able to get cables from him even if you could find him.

There are others who are now making cables. Look in the vendors section. Mean Lemons is one, and I think there is another, though I can't recall off hand who it is.

used a set of jumper cables to power an inverter in a Sequoia I had years ago. I didn't send any nuns to a fiery death.

agree for a permanent install, get the right wire

Neal @Mean lemons or Paul @Jeepcables are two NAXJA supporters.

10 4 thanks for the info. i picked up some 2/0 or 2 gauge idk exactly but its BIG battery cable its probably way overkill but anything worth doing is worth overdoing... right? i also got copper lugs. i felt confident doing it myself after watching a few videos on youtube. No doubt it would have been cheaper to buy the kit but i wanted to make my own just for the sake of doing it. plus i had a buddy that has a hydraulic crimper. i got most of the cables crimped and soldered it was easy enough plus it was an excuse to get in the garage and drink some beers. probably install this weekend glad i didnt go the other route. Thanks for the input

It sounds like you are getting it done right. Good job.

Back