• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory winch question

RHX4171

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, long time lurker and my first post (out of desperation for answers).
I am about to purchase a factory XJ winch and bumper setup (unicorn apparently). I really like the stock look of this setup vs aftermarket (I currently have aftermarket and I hate the 'big ole bumper' look). I've done as much research as I can and I still cannot make sense of the way the factory winch is mounted. I want to fully understand how it is mounted before I purchase it because if it mounts the way I think it does, it does not seem like it is a good way of mounting a winch (especially under load). I would be using this winch probably several times a year. It wouldn't be for "show". From what I gather, the feet of the winch are mounted to a rectangle bracket, which is then mounted to the vertical core support. The rectangle bracket is then sandwiched between the unibody by the outer brackets with bolts. I don't think this is good since while you are winching, you are placing tensional stress on four little bolts that bolt through the radiator core support? That seems sketchy. Wouldn't the winch be prone to just ripping straight out of the core support?

If this is the case, why are these highly sought after? I'm just trying to make sure its something I can actually use before I drop my cash on it.

Let me know guys. Thanks

Yes, that is how it mounts. It is a light duty winch IMO more suited to dirt driveway and farm yard use, than to deep mud or 4x4 trail recoveries.

Read this >> https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24496

Thanks. I figure I might as well buy it and sell it (complete swap/kit), or mount it and see if there is any kind of extra bracing or reinforcements I can do to support a bigger winch (maybe 9k lb). I just hate my rough country setup I have right now lol.

Another option for a more factory look would be the DetoursUSA "Backbone" system, which would support a 9k without modification, and didn't push the factory bumper out like the hidden winch kit did.

Thing is, I'm not sure they're made any more, so you might have to try and track down a used one.

The Factory kit used a clocked Ramsey 6000-lb winch, it would not fit a 8000-lb or larger winch.
I looked at an XJ with a Factory winch kit when I was considering a hidden winch but ended up building a stouter mount and using a Warn 8000.
I would worry about bending things in a hard side pull with the Factory kit.

2660350872_d080cd1f85.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157604557867782/

It sounds like Boostwerks' Comp Mount might be something you should look into. It is designed for an 8,000 lb winch, but 9,000 can probably be made to fit (with the correct choice of winch).

Another option for a more factory look would be the DetoursUSA "Backbone" system, which would support a 9k without modification, and didn't push the factory bumper out like the hidden winch kit did.

Thing is, I'm not sure they're made any more, so you might have to try and track down a used one.

I looked into the backbone system. While its a slick setup, I wasn't really a huge fan of the winch being right in front of the radiator.

The Factory kit used a clocked Ramsey 6000-lb winch, it would not fit a 8000-lb or larger winch.
I looked at an XJ with a Factory winch kit when I was considering a hidden winch but ended up building a stouter mount and using a Warn 8000.
I would worry about bending things in a hard side pull with the Factory kit.

2660350872_d080cd1f85.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157604557867782/

I've actually stumbled across your winch setup when I was researching. VERY nice man! I think i'm going to fab up my own mount (im a welder by trade) and try to utilize the factory winch bumper cover. The side pulls are what got me thinking "this setup would not hold up". I bought the factory setup last night, so I think im going to utilize the winch bumper cover with the fairlead, build a stout winch mount behind it, and just sell the rest of the factory parts. I want to go with a 8k or 9k lb winch.

It sounds like Boostwerks' Comp Mount might be something you should look into. It is designed for an 8,000 lb winch, but 9,000 can probably be made to fit (with the correct choice of winch).

I looked into the Comp Mount also. I like the idea of the integrated steering box brace.

If doing it again, I would buy the Boostwerks' Comp Mount.
Considering how much development they put into it, it isn't a bad price.

I ran the backbone on my last Jeep. I loved it. The winch being up in front of my radiator didnt seem to be a problem even in the Southern California desert during the summer.

It's too bad Detours seems to be out of business or restructuring or something they made some nice stuff.

I'd love to grab some of their tow reciever shackle tabs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I bought the factory setup last night, so I think im going to utilize the winch bumper cover with the fairlead, build a stout winch mount behind it, and just sell the rest of the factory parts. I want to go with a 8k or 9k lb winch.

You actually found one of those kits? You got yourself a unicorn there.

I don't think a pre-cut bumper was part of the kit, I think you just got a paper template for making the cuts on your own. If you got a pre-cut bumper tossed in, sounds like a plan. If it's something on the actual parts list from the hidden winch kit, I'd say duplicate it and leave the kit intact - I don't think there's too many out there in the wild.

It's too bad Detours seems to be out of business or restructuring or something they made some nice stuff.

They're active on Facebook. I'm not sure what he produces anymore but you could always ask, I suppose.

Back