• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle options with a fron HP Ford 44.

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So I'm looking at options. I recently got a new 95 xj chassis in trade. I'm also going to be getting a HP front D44 with reid knuckles and 4.88 gears cromo axles. For those that don't know my current trail rid is D60 front and rear on 42's. So Don't say ditch the 44. I'm looking to put the 44 in the new project but am undecided on a rear axle. Undecided on tire size too either 35's or 37's. I don't want a 9" I ran one for a year and love the strength but hate the low pinion and don't have the cash for a true hi 9 either. I thought about an explorer 8.8 but wouldn't it need spacers to more closely match the front 44? I do not want that at all. I thought about a F150 8.8 too but would want c-clip eliminators. Not sure they exist though. Thoughts on a rear to match a HP44?

The explorer 8.8 will be narrower and will also need adapters to match the bolt pattern of the front dana 44. Your front 44 should be around 65" wms-wms. The waggy 44 rear should be about the same width as your front. Im sure you could get new shafts for it to match bolt pattern of the front axle. Im kinda in same delima as you with a 9" rear but still being low pinion. Im just putting a pinion guard on mine and hoping for the best.

As stated, a D44 from a waggy would be about the same with. I know they make multi-lug pattern shafts for an XJ D44 so I'd assume they make them for a waggy width as well. I know that at one point a couple different companies made C-clip eliminators for 8.8s but haven't seen any in quite some time so I don't know if they are still produced or not. I do know that if they are still made, they add some width to the axle so an explorer 8.8 may a good starting width.

Edit: Looks like Yukon still makes the Super 88 kit which is the C-clip eliminator kit. Summit has it for just under $600 and includes everything needed.

Is the 44 a full width from F250? Knowing the width/lug pattern that you are or want to run would help, But below is what I am/was running.

My set up: HP 44 narrowed to waggy width, I am/was running chevy 1/2 outers with high steer. Doing so gave me the 6 lug pattern to match a waggy 44 rear that I used to have.

I ditched the waggy rear 44, for a narrowed 60 with solid 6 lug hubs. But there are many options for the 6 lug pattern depending on the width of the axle or what the width will be.

One beauty of the 44 front is the option for the diff lug patterns, 5x5.5, 6 x 5.5, or 8 x 6.5..

No matter what width you run there will be a good option to match the rear.

with good shafts, i dont see the issue with C-clips.

options are endless... D44, 8.8, 9, D60... i personally prefer 9s. the truck 8.8 wouldnt be a bad choice. D60-ISUs are cheap. maybe look into a JK44 depending on WMS? they seem to pop up in my area semi frequently. shafts should be click and buy with what ever bolt pattern.

35 spline semifloat 60 near you.

http://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/5897918228.html

Its machined for the wrong bolt patterns, but you could pickup some aftermarket shafts for it pretty easy to get whatever pattern you wanted.

Thanks for that heads up. I'm not too familiar with that 60. I called him though and he's willing to keep the 4.10 r and p and sell it for $400.00. I've been researching and stumbled across a couple applications I'm considering. One being the 8.8 in the Expedition, and the other being the 9.75 in the F150. Both of them are supposed to have disk brakes too.

I don't really know much about that particular 60 either, but assuming it uses a standard dana 60 carrier, its going to be cheaper and easier to build than the other options.

are you narrowing the 44? if so my choice would be a the narowed hp 44 with the 5.5 chevy(?) knuckle/hub swap and a explorer 8.8 with c-clip eliminators( they come dual drilled chromo shafts, and add about 1.5" to the width

are you narrowing the 44? if so my choice would be a the narowed hp 44 with the 5.5 chevy(?) knuckle/hub swap and a explorer 8.8 with c-clip eliminators( they come dual drilled chromo shafts, and add about 1.5" to the width

No it will stay. IDK if it will go in the new project or not. Funny twist. The axle shafts and joints in axle are the same I bought in 06 for my current D44 at that time from Yukon. So this axle has Yukon cromo and yukon joints. I ran it with my 203/205 and 36 IROK's fairly successfully. Until I grenaded the 9" pinion. This axle is kind of a whore...... I'm just trying to figure out IF I do run this one what do I need to look for. :cheers:

What about using flat top Chevy 6 lug knuckles and a rear 8" toyota rear out of a T100? The 8" will laugh at 35's or 37's and be cheap.

This was suggested by a friend but I'd like to not have to redo the entire front to make it match the rear.......... I mean it's got a reid knuckle I need to put on it and its drilled and tapped on the other side. Just researching options until after the holidays. I want to run this axle with 35's but I think it will be geared too deep at 4.88.

You could order better axles for the Toyota axle with any bolt pattern. Pretty sure Dutchman will do about anything. I have 4:88's and 35's and it is perfect.

4.88s and 35s are perfect.

If you're running 35s, I'd stick with a D44 rear with chromo 30 spline shafts. Throw a lockrite in it and be done. D60 is a pretty large/unnecessary axle for 35s for the majority of people. If you were running 37s, my opinion would be different.

Depending on your front axle width, I'd try for a waggy D44 rear.

Back