• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front dana 44 swap info

witt

NAXJA Forum User
so im buying a dana 44 (full width, DS drop, carrier w/4.10 gears and the knuckle.. no brakes)
i want to know from those who have done it..... what do i need to do to get this thing under my heep...
things i know i will need to do....

#1 shorten it (what do i need to shorten it to?)
#2 spring perches
#3 controll arm mounts
#4 gears
#5 rebuild kit
#6 waggy shafts
#7 warn hubs

what do i need to do about the brakes? since it doesnt come with them what do i replace em with? can i put my dana 30 brakes on it?

with the replacement hubs... can i go 5x4.5 bolt pattern? or do i have to go to 5x5.5? and have to change my rear 44 to the same

can i still run a 15x8" wheel with the brakes?

basically.... what do i need to do... step by step to get it under there?

sorry about the long post....

Thanks
Eric

I would have it shortened to waggy length. then get the RE bracket kit. Thats fun to install! then you'll need to gear it. Not sure if you can find 5 lug hubs etc. I used 6 lug with the yota rear axle. i used Waggy backing plates, brakes etc. you'll need to shorted your driveshaft. The RE bracket kit will also net you about 1/2 inch of lift over the 30. good luck. dave

I was told once that while you are saving up for the brakes and outers, you can bolt in the D30 outer nuckles, stub shafts etc. Never tried it but I've been told it will work.
Use a Chevy 1/2 ton outer nuckle and caliper and a wagoneer spindle and Ford hub and rotor and you can get 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern that will fit inside most 15x8 rims.
Another way to do it is to cut the housing to put the pinion in the same place as stock. This helps a lot with clearance issues with lifts below 8". If you're running more than 8" of lift or tires bigger than 36", it may not matter to you. The problem with this idea is that you have to get custom length shafts. Spares are not just an order from the parts list issue anymore and that means they ain't cheap. It worked for me with a 5" lift for some time though.
mattk

Take a look at http://www.madxj.com for an article about doing this. I've been running that axle for a few years now. As for bolting on dana 30 steering and brake stuff to a D44, only stuff from a CJ Dana 30 will work. The xj,zj,tj,yj,wj dana 30 stuff is all different. I suggest getting 1/2 ton chevy/Jeep/Ford outer stuff and actually suggest the Chevy steering knuckle for it's flat top that can accept high steer with some work. Jeff

Back