• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need C101 Connector Link

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Hey all, this is for a buddy of mine with an '88, his mechanic told him that his wiring harness is bad (Dale ins't a mechanic type), I told him it's probably his C101 being an '88.

So, who has a good link to the C101 fix that I can send him?

Thanks
Sequoia

Which C101 "fix"? The clean and replace, or the cut and rewire as per factory TSB?

Before undertaking either, I'd get more specifics from the mechanic as to what part of the harness he thinks is bad, and why he thinks that. I had a dealer cut out the C101 per the TSB on my '88 XJ many years ago (he told me it would solve numerous minor ills), I still have the C101 on the '88 MJ, and I don't think the "fix" did a durned thing except make the dealer $500 wealthier. It definitely did not make any difference in any of the three or four things the service manager told me it would improve. When I later questioned him about it, he denied ever saying it would improve anything.

Yeah, actually I read about that, I can be a good boy and search sometimes :angel:

Anyway, I'm getting this info second-hand, So I can't say to be sure, I'm thinking of just the getting him the cleanup procedure, and have him see if that's good enough with the mechanic. He wants to give the Jeep to his nephew as he just got a Escalade (ugh!)

Sequoia

If he just needs the 2-wire CPS harness that bypasses the C101, that comes in a box with a new CPS. I can get you the part number -- I carry one in each '88 as a spare.

Just stumbled onto this post... I've got an 88 xj with reman 4.0L and reman aw4, open cooling system with CSF Rad.

Knock on Wood... I don't have any probs with Starting or Idling and I believe it has the C101 (that's that big connector near the left hood hinge, right?).

Should I follow that... "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying? Thx.

DIGITRUCK said:
Just stumbled onto this post... I've got an 88 xj with reman 4.0L and reman aw4, open cooling system with CSF Rad.

Knock on Wood... I don't have any probs with Starting or Idling and I believe it has the C101 (that's that big connector near the left hood hinge, right?).

Should I follow that... "If it ain't broke don't fix it" saying? Thx.

Agreed, just remember that it is an issue.
It gets wicked hot in Cali and I think that combined with the hot nature of the straight 6 makes for a deadly combo on the connector plastic.
My mechanic said that the last one he spliced was crumbling apart in his hands as he took it out.

GSequoia said:
Yeah, actually I read about that, I can be a good boy and search sometimes :angel:

Anyway, I'm getting this info second-hand, So I can't say to be sure, I'm thinking of just the getting him the cleanup procedure, and have him see if that's good enough with the mechanic. He wants to give the Jeep to his nephew as he just got a Escalade (ugh!)

Sequoia

Interesting, but my experience is the C-101 is the only part I have not had problems with in my XJ's. I have had major problems with the wiring harness to sensor connectors (TPS, CTS and O2 sensor connectors), fuse boxes, ignition switches, headlamp switch wiring connectors fused to melted harness conectors, dirty loose ground connections all over the place, and burned and melted connectors fused to the ignition switches, but not a lick of trouble from my C-101 connectors.

Tell him to try finding a mechanic that is an electrician/electronic guru, that can trace wire problems one wire at a time in these beasts. Chances are it is the fuse box assembly, ignition switch, grounds, or some sensor to harness conections causing his problems. Brake fluid leaks on the fuse box are a problem too.

RedBluff said:
My mechanic just cut out my C101, cost $75.00 and it now starts everytime and idles way better than before.
Ok I'm new to the "C101" Disscussion but what do you mean by that "the mechanic just cut it out?" Did he replace it? I mean he must have right? Who has a pic of this part? Just call me a :looser:

very easy to cut out.... just wire to wire... wiring diagram in hand... if you want to keep a connector, Id install a nice Canon type plug.. something that doesnt require greese and crud to seal up

1985xjlaredo said:
Ok I'm new to the "C101" Disscussion but what do you mean by that "the mechanic just cut it out?" Did he replace it? I mean he must have right? Who has a pic of this part? Just call me a :looser:

Wil's right on, they cut mine out and used soldered connectors to splice it all back together. He also fit a nice plastic wire loom over it all.
I'll snap some pics and post up in the next few days.

Cool that would help alot. Why is the connector there if it is just as easy to have it wired direct?

1985xjlaredo said:
Cool that would help alot. Why is the connector there if it is just as easy to have it wired direct?

If you ever want to disconnect it you would have to cut wires instead of just unplugging it. Mine was done by the dealer when I first got the Jeep and knew nothing about it or these forums. Mine was replaced with a trailer plug or thats what it looks like. Cost me $25 in 2000 when I first got the truck. Looking forward to those pics to see if mine was done right. NEVER trust a STEALERSHIP!!!!

It is basically a quick disconnect for three smaller harnesses. Easier and cheaper to replace just a smaller one (the bad one) was probably the original goal. May have also made manufacturing and assembly a lot easier.

It is handy to have if you ever have to remove the motor as one assembly, though. Oh, well, both of mine have been behaving lately, so I guess they can stay for a little longer.

Any pics of this thing yet? I looked but I dont really see what connector we are talking about here.

Do you still have the '88 XJ? If so, go look under the hood next to the driver side hinge and the emissions sticker. It is the big black clunky wiring connector about 1-1/4" tall and about 5" long. If it is not there, then back in the past, somebody removed it.

Ah ok now I see it before I thought it was somewhere on the driver fenderwell.

Back