• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why do I have zero flex

steven9378

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just wanted a quick question if I'm in he wrong spot let me know but I have a 99 xj on 4.5 rough country lift. As a disclaimer I'm coming over from the Tj so I have zero knowledge of leaf springs. What I do know is my rear end flex is pathetic not exactly sure about the "leaf pack" it may be add a leaf I'm not sure how to tell but it does have the 4-6 inch shocks I installed the 0 lift had offroad shackle relocation brackets ( I have I was told 3 inch lift brackets) and with this upgrade saw very little difference however if I lift a rear tire and bounce on it the shock won't budge so I assume the shock is what is holding me up but I found out its te right shock the shackles do not reach 90 degrees it's not a brake line stopping them so how can I get more flex at the most effective way cost and performance I'm used to coil springs and I got incredible flex for almost free withhomemade remedies so I hear all the talk about leaf springs being just as good so I wanna make it happen

Longest sentence ever.

But in all seriousness. What? You need to edit your post so it makes some sense. I think there are several here (myself included) which would be happy to help, but saying "if I lift a rear tire and bounce on it, the shock won't budge" the whole statement is.....weird. Are you looking for up travel or droop?

Sounds like your shocks are too short. You have wheel articulation either up or down you need to have a shock set up for the amount of travel you desire in those directions . remove the shocks and see what you get then figure out shocks after that .

what i mean is if i pulll through my ditch to where one of my rear tires comes off the ground then i put it in park and go over to the one thats in the air and push down on it to see what is binding

i cant figure out how to edit the original post but basically ive got 4.5 lift its a rough country and its got the rough country shocks and springs its got no blocks in the rear but does have the lift shackle. to me it seems like my shock is maxing out but with this shock being the 4-6 inch lift shock i wouldnt think it would max out with so little drop out. so maybe the guy just used some add a leaf kit or something? for all i know they could be stock leafs and only the 3 inch lift shackle in the rear ( the rear does sit slightly lower hard to tell how much having the front fenders cut more than the rear)

there is short window after you post to edit it. after that, the post gets locked. thats why you cant edit it.

anyways... 3" is a lot of lift for a shackle... pictures might help us to see whats going on. also, you can remove the shocks to try and diagnose the leaf situation. put the unibody on jack stands, take the tires off, and droop the rear axle.

I think you need to understand how a leaf sprung suspension articulates to help you solve this. Look at the picture here and see if it helps: http://www.ttora.com/forum/187-long-travel-suspension-tech/186334-rear-leaf-setup-info.html

If you think it is your shocks jack it up and take them off and see if you get more droop.

My guess is that you have 3.5" springs and short lift shackles. Going to a lower lift spring with longer shackles should help but there are many combinations to figure out.

Here is my rigs lift experience as it may help: I have a 3.5" lift spring and stock shackles and if I were to do it again I'd get 0-1" lift springs if they exist, longer shackles and a shackle relocation kit. My flex stinks now. When I got my rig it had a 4.5 to 5" RC kit on it with add a leaf, blocks and shackles in the rear and it flexed pretty well since the spring had almost no arch to it at ride height. When I went to the 3.5" springs and shackles I lost some flex but got rid of the blocks. Then to get rid of some front vibrations and the transfer case drop I lowered it to a 3.5" lift all around. I like low COG rigs and have cut fenders and aftermarket flares.

ok and i have heard that you want flat leafs at ride height and mine are flat. i can take some pictures this evening after work. i have one but its really just of the shackle because i had issue with the shackle angle after doing the install but i believe its correct now. its right around 45 degrees on level ground.

but these shackles should be giving a decent bit of lift i dont know how long stock shackles are but from the hole im mounted in to the top hole is probably 4 inches or so atleast maybe closer to 6

Last edited:
Looks reasonable. I think you need to jack it up and then take a shock off to see how much more it drops (or not) to start to figure this out. I'm guessing your travel is most likely limited by your shocks.

Looks reasonable. I think you need to jack it up and then take a shock off to see how much more it drops (or not) to start to figure this out. I'm guessing your travel is most likely limited by your shocks.

Yes. I agree with that assessment.

There are also a few things there that may need attention soon.

1) the main leaf is bent at the second leaf.
2) the third leaf seems to be an add a leaf.

Short add a leafs tend to fatigue the main leaf on the XJ. These in themselves should not contribute/cause the lack of articulation they should be addressed when time permit.

You got some good advice above. Start there and let us know the results.

Ok I did notice it seemed to be arcing the main spring there where the second spring sits on it and I have plenty of time the problem is lift packs ran like what 400 bucks I don't have that kind of money don't know how much I could get it right for

I would suggest that there is limited flex because the shackles are bottom out on the frame. The shackle rub marks are clearly visible. Having incorrect length/travel shocks are also a strong possibility for limiting the flex. Secondly, while you are ditch jumping, is the front sway bar connected or disconnected ? Along the same line of though, does you XJ have a rear sway bar ? How much flex are you expecting, and have you compared your XJ to any other XJ's flexibility ?

Finally, I have 4 wheeled my XJ and CJ-7 all over the country, and have never found the flex of the rear suspension to be a major factor in the trail capability, or lack of capability, of my 4x4's. That leaves me sorta wondering if you are worrying about something that doesn't greatly matter ?

Last edited:
Well then main concern is on the trails in picking my tire up and teetering all over the place and no sway Bars front or rear and a couple buddies have them and all have more flex than m maybe just an inch to three inches but that's a lot and how do I find what the correct length shackles I need are?

That looks like a poorly made bastard pack. I could be wrong but looks like an old clapped out Xj main, and some other stuff with an add a leaf.
There is problem #1
Problem #2 is as mentioned shackle is hitting the frame, and your shackle is not at a 45* angle. I'd move that shackle back at least one hole

It takes some work, but get a decent leaf pack, and get that shackle dialed in and assuming your shocks are long enough you'll be fine.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you've got to pay to play.... And flex isn't everything

as it sits in the photo... your compression is limited because the shackle will be bottoming out on the frame. but you SHOULD have gobs of droop. if removing the shocks doesnt improve anything (and it shouldnt) then something is wrong with your leaf pack.

move the shackle back a hole or two to keep it from bottoming out on the frame. also, move the leaf to the other hole on the shackle. those adjustable RC shackles like to fold when you use them at the highest setting.

if you cant pony up for new leaf packs (RE ones are very affordable, and available on amazon) look up how to make a bastard pack and hit the junk yard. i wouldnt reuse anything from your current leaf pack.

Your main spring is worn out, and those add a leafs are killing it quickly. Definitely need new leafs and shackles to get it off the body. You can get rusty's 4.5" leafs shipped for about 300. But building a bastard pack is cheap and easy. Where are you in SC, I build my old pack from the local pull a part for less than 100. I might have it lying around somewhere too.

Sent from my LG G4 using TapaTalk

im in spartanburg not too far from you i use LKQ here in greer. but lets say i went and got the 4.5 leaf pack from somewhere and threw it on would that
a) solve all of my flex issue or am i better off going another route and
b) if i go to the 4.5 inch lift leafs that means i would then either remove the shackle i have or get up to around what 6-7 inches of total lift? my concern is because the shackle relocation box i have you have to use the extended shackles i believe its the HD offroad engineering one if anyone knows off the top of their head. ill look into that too

Back