• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

late model AC problems

whited

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I am new to the forums.

I was driving a trail with my defogger on. No problems until engine began to smoke,
I lost power steering and I pulled over and cut it off. I have a 2000 model. The serp.
belt was super hot because the pulley wheel on the AC motor had stopped moving
freely while the AC was switched on. I let it cool down, turned off the AC (!) and
was ok to continue. The vehicle runs fine as long as nobody touches the AC...

I was freaked out because I don't carry a spare serp. belt with me. ;)
That will need to be replaced now I'm sure.

Questions:

Does the 2000 year model not have a "fan" option for when you want to heat up or cool down inside the vehicle? Every time I touch the rotary switches for temp. changes, the AC turns on. I can't see any "fan" option, and I can't figure out how to use the fan only without AC.

Is this crazy, am I missing something?:helpme:

Obviously your ac compressor is toast. If you turn your knob past the first 3 posistions, that should be just fan options. I would turn it to these posistions before you start it, to have some sort of climate control.

You can pull the AC relay (until you replace the compressor) and use your HVAC, or disconnect and cap the wiring to the compressor.

If you turn your knob past the first 3 posistions, that should be just fan options

You would think so, but I don't think that's the case. My rotary switch only has two
ranges: blue (cold) settings and gray (warm) settings, and both activate the AC. My Jeep is the
base base base model with power nothing and no options. Is it possible that it doesn't
have fan options? Does such a thing even exist?

Running defroster will cause AC to activate regardless of tempurature settings. AC removes humidity/moisture from cabin making defrost more effective.

Back