• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a 1997 wiring harness p0720 P0700 codes

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a place to get one? Long story short the previous owner dropped the trans and tcase but didn't unhook all the senors and trashed the harness. It has been hacked together and pinched multiple times between the trans and fire wall while they did whatever they did. I'm 99% sure it is what is causing my CEL for codes p0720 and p0700. The output shaft speed sensor is new with a new plug. I've swapped the sensor twice so I don't think its that. It also occasionally effects my part time 4wd light on the dash when I engage the 4wd.

So like I said I am guessing the harness or maybe the ecm. Is the trans controlled by the ecm or does it have a separate controller? Kid that had my jeep before me blew the np242 and swapped a donor trans with a np231 hooked to it into the jeep. He also snapped a bolt off in the torque converter and a few other things but those have all been fixed

Oh even with the CEL and codes my jeep still runs shifts and drives as well as I think it should. Don't feel any hiccups or anything. Its just real real annoying and messes with my ocd.

part number off my tag on the harness i need is P56009385

Last edited:
If you find a new harness, expect to spend at least $ 700 - 800 for it. A good used one should cost about $ 50 and take about 1/2 hour to remove.

From what I "think" I know from doing some checking I'm pretty much stuck having to have a 97 harness and even then it may not be right. My harness is the one with 2 plugs from the ecm. Includes the fuel rail plugs and the ones for the different throttle body and intake sensors. Plugs into a big black plug on the passenger side then feeds back to the trans for the 4x4 indicator switch and out put shaft speed sensor. It has the wiring for both 02 sensors on it and the wires that feed into the post where the coil mounts. Hard to take a picture since it is back in the jeep right now. I can't have it down for very because I drive it everyday for work (pizza man)

I'd pull it and just find all the breaks and pinches and fix it but I'm not very good with electrical wiring.

Thinking about it I don't see why a harness from a 97 with a np231 won't work since i believe the difference is that the harness I have for a np242 has 1 extra wire for the tcase indicator light. Powers the full time light in the dash. My guess since I have seen one is that a 231 equipped one won't have that extra wire. I do know on all the 96 and 98 models I've searched in salvage yards the plugs are vastly different looking.

Is the trans controlled by the ecm or does it have a separate controller?

Separate controller, screwed to the back side of the passenger side of the dash below the glove box. Personally, it might just be easier to run a fresh wire pair from the output sensor instead of trying to redo the harness.

It was either 98 or 2000, that the controller moved to the drivers side somewhere above the gas pedal.

I've thought about doing that. Pulling the harness taking off all the tape and wrap and running all new wire from the ecm down to the sensor. Then realized my wiring skills aren't that great and I would likely mess it up more then it already is.

On my jeep I didn't find a box on the passenger side but there is one above to the right of gas pedal attached to side of the housing for the head unit and a/c controls. Is that possibly it?

there is one above to the right of gas pedal attached to side of the housing for the head unit and a/c controls. Is that possibly it?

Sounds like the same as my 98. I have heard the 98 is its own year for trans swaps...can't use a 97 or a 99. I do not know if the harness is different though.

I have no idea what year the donor trans and tcase are that they used when doing the 242 to 231 swap that they did. Just that my jeep came with the old trans and blown 242 case still attached laying in the cargo area, and how the 4x4 didn't work (worked just fine the dash light just didn't kick on because like he said they trashed and cobbled the harness back together when they forgot to unhook the harness

I've thought about doing that. Pulling the harness taking off all the tape and wrap and running all new wire from the ecm down to the sensor. Then realized my wiring skills aren't that great and I would likely mess it up more then it already is.

On my jeep I didn't find a box on the passenger side but there is one above to the right of gas pedal attached to side of the housing for the head unit and a/c controls. Is that possibly it?

It looks like this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xFIAAOSwfvRZgVCr/s-l1600.jpg

Repairing the wires would be less work than trying to get the entire harness out. I wouldn't even bother trying to untape the existing harness and just run them along side the existing bundle and cover with new loom or wrap.

Sounds like mayhaps someone swapped in the wrong trans? 98 and newer will have a input speed sensor, previous years did not

I've got your wiring harness -- P56009385

That harness look great -- not pinched anywhere -- a little oily down by the oil filter

It's on the 97 XJ I just picked up for the cruise control and front Hp dana 30

PM inbound

Back