• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finaly got an XJ 99 limited with some stuff

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
been looking around at XJs for a while now and ended up getting one from a member here.
99 XJ Limited, D44 rear, built up D30, 35s, bumpers, winch, rubicon express 5.5, 4.56s, Aussie lockers front/rear, WJ knuckles, custom high steering, labarron hood vents, and some other stuff i don't remember.

as it sits when i picked it up
B494B979-5778-48DD-833A-C6749A4DB7B9-461-00000079D0A7937D.jpg

the front end is completely slopped out, did 2 bushings in last weeks snow storm out side. was going to upgrade to the adjustable rubicon lower arms but got in touch with a member here and picked up a pair of Clayton Long arms so those will be on soon.
spend all yesterday and night redoing the rear with new seals which were SHOT!! no rear brakes right now since the seals were so bad it messed them up but i'm not going to use them anyway.

already have parts to install.
Clayton long arms
Ford Exploder rear brake mod
52in LED Vision X light bar needs to get wired in
then just work the kinks out.

almost doesn't fit in the garage to work on it, i can only jack the wheels about 4in off the ground before the roof hits part of the storage racks we have.
302E474A-17E2-496D-9A30-890DFF797F29-461-00000079DA7906B0.jpg

and Bomb doggy Books hanging out while we do a tune up
F690C672-599D-459E-976D-980DE2EBF118-461-00000079FD6D1B28.jpg

plans.....
fender flairs
rock sliders
low pro roof rack to mount light bar to
clearance cut fenders more for the tires
get heated seats to work right
fab up a built in dog bed in the back for the pooch

and maybe if i get the strange urge to throw more money at this...
alloy rear axles with ARB lockers front/rear
re-gear to 4.88 or rebuild the motor to get a little more power. has around 200K on it now.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad to see it stay in the club.

If you have problems with the dana 30 gearset or np231... I didn't do it.

keep posting cool pictures of it so ryan regrets selling it and gets another jeep!

wow Ryan sold his rig? damn i've been gone for awhile but what ever you got a nice xj and the best of luck to ya

If you have problems with the dana 30 gearset or np231... I didn't do it.

keep posting cool pictures of it so ryan regrets selling it and gets another jeep!

hmmm i see that. so, how about the D44 rear? it had some uhh.... "custom" work done to it but Alex22 cleaned it up in the lathe at work a little. i have 3 others to use so it's not a big deal, or... that just means that i have to put those Alloy shafts in.
AA8FB002-129C-40DA-BFD9-B78EC828039A-461-000000D330A23ED8.jpg

7CB36B49-B827-475A-8E5A-58896F1F26D8-461-000000D33A7251EA.jpg

hahah it's all good though. if i wanted a jeep that's all ready to go and 100% i would have paid 3 times as much. heater works now and in the process of installing the 52in LED bar.

Last edited:
hmmm i see that. so, how about the D44 rear? it had some uhh.... "custom" work done to it but Alex22 cleaned it up in the lathe at work a little. i have 3 others to use so it's not a big deal, or... that just means that i have to put those Alloy shafts in.
AA8FB002-129C-40DA-BFD9-B78EC828039A-461-000000D330A23ED8.jpg

7CB36B49-B827-475A-8E5A-58896F1F26D8-461-000000D33A7251EA.jpg

hahah it's all good though. if i wanted a jeep that's all ready to go and 100% i would have paid 3 times as much. heater works now and in the process of installing the 52in LED bar.

damn, that axle got scored up bad. I drove down to rausch creek with him when that wheel bearing went. we swapped in his spare shaft with a "better" condition bearing and seal on it I believe.

Is the t-case and d30 still good to go? your first sentence makes it seem like something might be off lol.

hahah nah everything is good, the rear just had worn seals. ok well completely shot seals really and the pinion bearings were bad or the pinion nut got loose not sure.

picking up the Clayton long arm cross member wednesday so the front end will be all set come this weekend. hopefully be putting on the rear Exploder brake set up aswell. just not too sure what i need for a spacer.

Was a sad day watching it go but glad it stayed in the NAC and sold to someone who will appreciate it. And like sam said, keep posting pics so I can continue to hate myself lol.

And ya that shaft is scored up from having no gear oil and the bearing running dry, along with the pinion bearings.

Was a sad day watching it go but glad it stayed in the NAC and sold to someone who will appreciate it. And like sam said, keep posting pics so I can continue to hate myself lol.

And ya that shaft is scored up from having no gear oil and the bearing running dry, along with the pinion bearings.

All taken care of, ended making a case spreader since the rag through the ring gear wouldn't pop it out of the case for us.

A2D4C214-8223-41F4-B5D5-0BF6A9507937-2950-00000663B310E6EB.jpg

There is some play in the bearing on the burnt up shaft and the shaft will be replaced by one in better shape soon enough.

Also, is this an Advanced Adapters SYE or a hack and tap? I have a 231 with an AA SYE, if this is a hack and tap is there any benefit to swapping in the AA?

~Alex

A hack n tap is not quite as strong but keeps a lot more factory parts. Hell I have two spare output shafts (one 95- one 96+) if you ever need to put a new one in it.

Also I guess it won't be as short and could theoretically result in more vibrations.

You can tell if it's a hack n tap or a real SYE by the size of the nut/bolt under the ujoint in the yoke. If it's a nut and a rather large one and the seal rides on the yoke, it's an SYE, if it's a hackntap it'll be a rather smaller bolt (probably 3/8" or 1/2" shank diameter) and a washer and the seal will ride on the yoke on a 95- or on the shaft on a 96+. The dust shield over the seal will probably still be present on a 96+.

I'm slightly buzzed atm so if anyone says any of this is wrong, believe them :dunce::cheers:

Thanks for the info Ken. Happy New Years :cheers:

Happy new years! :cheers:

Is your buddy still having issues with that Xj? I don't even remember what the problem was, but if he is, I'll probably be down at teh shop Wednesday welding on the yota and/or helping do a brake job on a 92 accord. Drop by if the problem still persists... just let me know tomorrow what year it is again (I can't remember) so I can bring the right FSMs.

Happy new years! :cheers:

Is your buddy still having issues with that Xj? I don't even remember what the problem was, but if he is, I'll probably be down at teh shop Wednesday welding on the yota and/or helping do a brake job on a 92 accord. Drop by if the problem still persists... just let me know tomorrow what year it is again (I can't remember) so I can bring the right FSMs.

It mostly went away after cleaning up the bulkhead connector, he did come home on leave but they took his wife's car. Thanks for the offer though.

~Alex

Not sure of the brand but its a full SYE, it is not a hack n tap.

i don't remember either, but it seemed identical to my old Performance offroad center sye.

Many of the heavy duty sye's are all the same, just reboxed.

Back