• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank capacity...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
When the reserve light comes on just how much gas is left? I know, it varies, so I'd like a couple of answers please. I'm supposed to have a 20 gal. tank but I'm wondering. I don't want to run it dry to find out. 91 sport 4.0 is what its in.

I'm not running anything huge, or slick , almost bone stock, but seems like I cant get more than 320 miles to a fill up. Yes Yes yes new O2 sensor, tune all of that, includeing fuel filter. A/C not running.

I have ran mine down past the 'E' line, and when I filled the tank up it took right about 20 gal. Just my expirance though.

Joe

I'm lucky to get about 280 miles out of about 18 gallons. It's been that way since new in 1994. Then again my usual "Highway" miles are stop and go.

If I fill it up when my gas light starts coming on, I can usually put in about 16 gallons.

Wait until the light comes on, and then fill up. Take 20.2 total gallons minus however many you put in, that's how many gallons are left when the light comes on. It could be anywhere from 1 to 10 gallons - all gas gauges are inaccurate, XJ gauges more so than most.

My gas light always comes on when I have 5 or six gallons left but mine is off so don't take that as a rule of thumb. My gauge seems to be pretty accurate though, I just ignore the gas light.

My 91, the gas light is supposed to come on with 2 gallons left in a 20 gallon tank. However, due to acceleration, it turns on with about 4-5 gallons left. Can run almost 2 days with the light on, never tried longer.

They must keep changing this, because I'm pretty sure the 95 is supposed to go on when there are about 4 gallons left. Anyway, mine seems to do that, but it can be hard to decide exactly when "the light is on," because it comes and goes for a while. By the time it really stays on, I think it's closer to 2. The only way to make really sure, of course, is to pack a gas can and drive until it runs out.

I'm reviving this thread because I just broke my personal record for driving on empty. I think I drove about 30 miles with the needle bellow empty. I felt like Kramer on the Seinfeld episode where Jerry buys a new Saab. I was stuck on the NJ Turnpike and passed up a service station because of long lines. Little did I know that the next 2 service stations stopped selling gas. I was just expecting the engine to sputter and die any second. I never thought I'd be so happy to see a sleezy gas station in Newark.

Thayer said:
I felt like Kramer on the Seinfeld episode where Jerry buys a new Saab.
I don't like the term "grease monkey"

Haha, is that from the episode when the mechanic stole his Saab with Peterman's golf clubs in the back?

Has anyone here done GoJeep's mod. for adding fuel capacity to the stock tank? I was just searching for it here when I saw this thread.

Hey Timber, where is that link at??

Jeff

Thayer said:
Haha, is that from the episode when the mechanic stole his Saab with Peterman's golf clubs in the back?
I thought it was from the dealership episode. Putty doesn't like the term "grease monkey".

91' xj

i get about 200 miles a tank but ive also got a "rock custom gas tank" after a little run in on the trail havent had time to put in my new tank yet

i think it holds around 15-17gals custom i know for sure its 20 normally

Back