• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.1 Sluggo

BadLarry

NAXJA Forum User
Evening fellas, my name is Corey and I’ve just aquired an 85 XJ 2.1TD from a buddy of mine who built it 18 years ago for wheeling. I know this is a bit of a rare beast and parts can be scarce which is really why I’m here; both to learn as much about the mill as possible and to contribute where I can; hopefully rekindle a dialog about these things... No posting pics yet so; the jeep is a 85, 4 door auto, with a Klune underdrive, narrowed Waggy 44s, Q78 Super Swampers on Waggy rims with Staun Beadlocks, front winch bumper/brush guard/air tank combo, 10k Warn winch, rocker skid air tanks, rear bumper/air tank combo, onboard air, 4.56 gears with chromolly shafts, and detroits F/R.. Theres not a clean panal on the entire rig; its nickname is “Sluggo”....

Last edited:
I see you have a paid membership -- You should be able to post pictures -- Naxja will host them too

Upper left you'll see User CP -- click that and find your Pictures and Albums -- Top 1/3 on the left side -- Load your pictures there then link them in the post

Welcome to the site

I see you have a paid membership -- You should be able to post pictures -- Naxja will host them too

Upper left you'll see User CP -- click that and find your Pictures and Albums -- Top 1/3 on the left side -- Load your pictures there then link them in the post

Welcome to the site

Evening, thanks for the hello Heavy.. I’ll give it a shot; a little different than pirate and other forums, I should be able to bull my way through it..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
I like sluggo. Keep us posted on what you have going on with it!
Thanks! Will do. I have some deferred maintenance to deal with outta the gate here. There is a fuel leak originating somewhere up near the timing cover, I’m going to rebuild the vaccum pump and I need to find a set of the stock soft or medium duty springs to throw in the back of it. The drivers side spring is “S”d pretty bad.

I need to find a set of the stock soft or medium duty springs to throw in the back of it. The drivers side spring is “S”d pretty bad.

Make sure to check out that shock before you pull the trigger on new springs. Had a bent shock rod cause the same problem on my '96. Only found out about it AFTER I had replaced the springs, which is kinda an expensive, PITA job. :-\

Make sure to check out that shock before you pull the trigger on new springs. Had a bent shock rod cause the same problem on my '96. Only found out about it AFTER I had replaced the springs, which is kinda an expensive, PITA job. :-\

Thanks for the advise. The shocks are fine; the springs are S’d from years of punishment. They definitely need to be scrapped and shredded into a million little pieces...

Those leaf spring bolts can be a beast to crack loose. If you’re able to get the pb blaster or kroil out and soak any related fasteners ahead of time, you’ll be doing yourself a big favour. Good luck dude, I like seeing these older and less common XJs get a new lease on life!

Those leaf spring bolts can be a beast to crack loose. If you’re able to get the pb blaster or kroil out and soak any related fasteners ahead of time, you’ll be doing yourself a big favour. Good luck dude, I like seeing these older and less common XJs get a new lease on life!

Oh I hear ya, New England isnt too nice to unsprung parts.... I’m just going to torch them off; I hate reusing Ubolts.. Thanks though!

forgot i was going to add something of use here. harry j smith in waterville can make you new leaf springs, i have them on 2 of my xj's and they work well.

also check your shackles out carefully, mine were both rotted from Maine salt.

welcome to another Maine Member, i saw the name Bad Larry and figured you must be a down easter.

Well not quite down east, I grew up in Round Pond just above Boothbay harbor. You’d never believe me in a million years but a buddy of mine and I made up the term Bad Larry about 20-25 years ago when we built a Nitrous Pickle fork we use to race..

forgot i was going to add something of use here. harry j smith in waterville can make you new leaf springs, i have them on 2 of my xj's and they work well.

also check your shackles out carefully, mine were both rotted from Maine salt.

Thanks for that info, Harry J sounds familiar. More than likely I’ll go to the pick and pull in Brunswick; I called the other day and they said they have a hand full of them. I’ll just go torch out a set that look decent. I dont want anything too stiff or new, I’d rather have a set thats been worked a bit. I’ll pull them apart, grease-um then put-um back together and see how it rides.
It’s got a set of RE shackles on there now, their solid. The whole shackle hanger and fixed eye side of the spring hangers have been reworked.

Last edited:
Sluggo's cool. Bad Larry on the wheel. I dig. Welcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This thing is awesome, wish I could have one of these. We need updates tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey thanks, well I changed the oil lol, checked the stauns, rerouted some air lines, fixed the rear door latches, and I’ve wheeled it some around the property. It goes real good in the snow aired down to 4-5 psi. I’m going to go through the brakes, and have to attend to a small fuel leak. So far its just as I remember it. I’ve driven it several times in the past. Its a solid rig.

She seems very solid, I mean she would've been considered a fully built rig back in the day! Pride was taken in making that beau-ugly beast. Now you can order full bolt-on kits for around 4-5k for your 2018 wrangler and that's considered "built".:laugh2:

Thanks for that info, Harry J sounds familiar. More than likely I’ll go to the pick and pull in Brunswick; I called the other day and they said they have a hand full of them. I’ll just go torch out a set that look decent. I dont want anything too stiff or new, I’d rather have a set thats been worked a bit. I’ll pull them apart, grease-um then put-um back together and see how it rides.
It’s got a set of RE shackles on there now, their solid. The whole shackle hanger and fixed eye side of the spring hangers have been reworked.

Man I haven't been there in years... pulled the NV4500 for my current J10 build out of Ingersons (used to be down the street from Daves, looks like they are darn near shut down, if not completely shut down now) back in 2014.

How's the 2.1td? I have heard they are, uh, extremely unmotivated. Allegedly you can get parts from some Winnebago dealership in the midwest as some older RVs they made used the same Renault 2.1td. I am not sure how old that info is and/or whether the parts are all gone now however.

Back