• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front frame stiffeners

Ronniexj

NAXJA Forum User
Well it finally happened to me, my frame has two cracks at the drivers sway bar mount.

I have ruffstuff mids that I need to weld on, and I've been looking at the offerings for front stiffies but:

Is there any reason I can't get some 3x3x3 channel and plate from the front bumper to where the engine mounts are?

I haven't really seen this done but I would cut the lip of the frame back where they spot welded, then weld the two together so I could slide channel over it.

I've done lots of searching and I see people putting channel on the mids but just plating the front.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=1d8c5cec2c272ab93bc975c60f512868&oe=55B60C01

97 XJ RE3.5 31s

JKS has a SBS system which includes inner and outer plates for both sides of frame. It also includes weld in sleeves which further strengthen the steering box area and prevent the steering box bolts from loosening due to uniframe flex. Adding plate on the bottom of the unirail in the steering box area would be recommend, considering the cracking you already have. You can also get HD Off-road stiffener plates which strengthen the area in the wheelwell. Many have fabbed their own plates, so lots of options.

I hear you, I was just trying to see if anyone has used channel on the front or if there was a new plate system I hadn't seen.

I was looking at the HD ones but I will check out JKS's system aswell. I'd prefer to box up the frame horns.

I'll grind out and weld the cracks up for the moment untill I get the mids on.

Thanks

10986665_1050270881667378_3564473718781771829_n.jpg

Fortunately I caught em early and the jeep rarely leaves pavement so I've got time to decide how I'm going to plate/stiffen.

I've seen a few XJs on pirate where they cut the lip off and plate all 3 sides of the rail, I'm thinking about doing something similar. Really wish I had a plasma though

Starboard M, I like the fab work you put into that bumper.

A question though, why did you add the standoff to the steering box? It looks like its 1/2"+ further from the frame than it came from the factory. I'd think that this would put more torsion on the frame.

I know its not a full frame and disperses more flex through the entire body but I don't see why the lip can't be cut off if it's welded back together and reinforced.

One huge area of concern is the motor mounts bolting to it however so I'm thinking of trimming back the lip a ways to the MM and then plating underneath the MM.

I'm thinking something similar to this in 1/8" and leaving the motor mount brackets in place:

Pictures courtesy of BryanDowdy:

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

IMG_4752.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

My front framerails are just 1/8 and 3/16 I cut myself and plated all along the bottom and outside & engine mounts forward top and inside. 2x6 rectangle tubing as front cross member to tie it all together. I have a RuffStuff TB mounted welded to it without issue. I've built a couple 1tons rigs like that and they're all holdng up good too. Its important to plate multiple planes and tie it all together to maximize it strength.

Some areas I cut out the seams and boxed everything in, other spots I kinda worked around them and plated up to them. I used some small sections of tubing welded to the inside plate to mount the steering box on.

Back