• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj door lock problems

stockrock

NAXJA Forum User
My door locks don't work when the keyless entry module is plugged in when I remove the module the locks will unlock only . if I push the switch to lock position the doors unlock when the I push the switch to unlock it unlocks . I can bypass the switch and lock the door . I replaced both l/r door switches . it seems like the switches default to unlock only when the keyless entry module is removed am I right. this is driving me crazy

Wire harness issues in the drivers door and the tailgate are very common. Begin with some basic trouble shooting, visually inspect the wire harnesses for damaged wires, chafed wire insulation, and failed wire splices. Test wire continuity. Test the locking solenoids by applying 12 volts directly. Clean and lubricate the locking and latching mechanisms.

The keyless entry module should have no effect upon the electric locks, unless it has its own issues.

Last edited:
I repaired the harness in the drivers door. I pulled the harness from the the passengers side and inspected the wires and found a small crack In 1 wire I repaired that . I will go over the harness see if I missed other damaged wires . I will check the lift gate harness .thanks

found the problem the lock and unlock wires were cut behind the drivers kick also the new passengers switch is bad . I put the old switch back in all is good thanks for the help .

Back