• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Cam position sensor keeps going out

Norsk62

NAXJA Forum User
My rig is a 93 Sport, 4.0L AW4 it is basically stock. During the summer I thought I had a Crank Position Sensor, CPS issue. My rig would occasionally die for no reason. So I replaced the CPS with a new unit and my rig ran fine up to mid December when it would not start. The engine turned over fine, but would not fire.
After a lot of trouble shooting and testing, the only error code triggered was for the cam position sensor. Upon removing the distributor cap I found that the sensor was pretty dirty and corroded in some places. I pulled the distributor and replaced it with a new unit which includes a new cam position sensor. 2 days later, my rig would not start again. I got the same error code as before. I purchased a new cam position sensor from the dealer and installed it into my original distributor I had just replaced and re-installed my original distributor. I returned the new distributor I purchased and exchanged it for another new one.
My jeep started up and ran fine until last week when it would not start again. I had the same error code again as before. I removed my original distributor I had rebuilt with a new cam position sensor and replaced that distributor with the new one I exchanged. I installed the second new distributor and again it starts and runs fine.
My jeep is now at a shop where they are trying to figure out why I am going through cam sensor. So my question is this. Has anyone out these experienced this same issue with cam position sensors and if so, what was determined to be the cause of why they were failing?
Thanks

Sounds to me like a wire issue between the ECU and the Dizzy. Or a HV wire arcing near the dizzy wires?

I took the Ride of Shame today, as the dreaded P0340 reared its ugly head. My '96 just died as I was rolling to a stop sign, and I just pulled over into a parking spot. Nevermind I'd just left Harry's U Pull It, and the tow truck driver offered to take me and the HEEP back! I politely declined... My UltraGauge alarmed, and the CEL came on. I used the UG to clear the CEL, but to no avail. After I got home, I looked up the code, and it came up Camshaft Position Sensor. Oh, well, it is a year old...I installed a rebuilt dizzy last year, a Cardone (yechhhh) unit, and I'm wondering if that's the reason. The rebuilt, with a new CMP sensor, cost only a few more dollars than the new sensor I installed today. More Cardone/A-1 crap, or is my JEEP killing the sensors? I've been through only FIVE TPSs since the computer reflash two years ago, as per the Chrysler recall. Otherwise, the vehicle has been behaving rather well lately.

or is my JEEP killing the sensors? I've been through only FIVE TPSs since the computer reflash two years ago, as per the Chrysler recall.
OMG :shocked: , that must be some kind of record?

Otherwise, the vehicle has been behaving rather well lately.
LMAO!!!! Good one!!!

Makes me wonder if the new sensors are junk to begin with?

I have had a new water pump (died in under 2 years, 15,000 miles), and an IAC, a brake drum, a CPS, and 2 dash gauge coolant temperature sensor senders that were bad right out of the box from AZone the last 2 years. OTC radiator hoses at AZ andf O'reileys are crap now, 1/2 to 1/3 the wall thickness of 2 years ago(?). I have been getting real picky about where I buy parts, and have been using Rock auto more and more.

Last edited:
Back