• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 rotors

SARgroundpounder

NAXJA Forum User
I need rotor/brake help. Are there two different style rotors for the non-disconnect D30?

I just swapped my disconnect D30 out of my '89 XJ with a HP non-disconnect D30.

The "new" axle didn't have brakes and I thought I could just swap the brakes from my current set-up. The inner diameter of the '89 rotors was too small to fit over the newer axle's hubs. I just did a search on the forum and now know that the brakes are different.

Here's my problem: I just bought new Raybestos rotors for the '95 D30 and discovered the offset is too much. The inner side rotor rubs against the dust shield. :hang:

What's the easiest way to fix this?

Take them back for the older style (thicker flange) rotors. Go look on the oem board for year break info. Also, there is no difference between the disco/non disco hubs, I did, however, have to remove quite alot of rust that was built up on the flange of the hub where the rotor seats, so you may may want to take a good look, and maybe wire wheel the hub where the "collar" sticks out in the center.

Last edited:
Thanks. I understand the year break now.

What I don't understand is why the new composite rotors don't fit the '95 hubs.

I guess I'm left with a couple of options:
  1. Swap my '89 knuckles and hubs to keep my current calipers (I may need to replace the bearings anyway)
  2. Find the right rotors for the new hubs and convert my calipers
  3. Do a WJ outer swap (Do I have to upgrade the booster for this swap?)
  4. Follow Crash's D30 build up advice and spend way too much money on this axle

Am I missing other options? What's the best suggestion?

I just had 4.10's and an ARB installed in this axle so throwing the axle out for a front D44 isn't in the picture. It sounds like the cheapest option is #1.

There were two different unit bearings used in XJ's. 1984 - 1990 had a smaller wheel flange, 1991 - 2001 had a larger wheel flange, that is why your rotors don't fit. They will not ever fit.

If I were in your position and still had my old axle I'd just take your knuckles off and put your knuckles, brakes, and unit bearings on the newer axle, wait, that is exactly what I did when I got my non disco axle ;)

Your 1989 knuckles have bolted on caliper mounts, the 1991+ knuckles have the caliper mounts cast on. Your calipers will not bolt to those knuckles. If you have the money to spare I would replace the ball joints while you are doing this; I would also consider replacing the unit bearings themselves.

Sequoia

Thanks Sequoia.

Don't I lose the 297 u-joints if I swap the disconnect knuckles and brakes?

I mis-typed in my earlier post. In option 2, by "convert my calipers", I meant buy new calipers for the 95 axle. My thinking now is to keep the 95's knuckles, hubs, and 297 u-joints. Return the composite rotors for the forged version that has less offset. Buy new calipers and put this nightmare behind me.

You can keep the 297's no problem, the axle shafts never changed (aside from the U-Joints).

I did forget to mention that the newer brakes use metric threads on the brake lines, so if you decided to get late model calipers you'd have to convert your brake lines to metric.

Sequoia

Back