• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elec fan vibrates jeep...

4byfour

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I've had my 2000 cherokee sport 4.0L 4x4 auto since monday(112k miles) and in the drive through lane at a local ffr (fast food restraunt) after 12 minutes of ideling in 96 degree heat the aux fan kicked on and scared me half to death...It shakes the hole jeep,hood vibrates, and is pretty loud. Obviously this is wrong. Is this a common symptom when the aux fan bearings go byby or is this a sysptom of a bigger problem like bad motor mounts or something???
Thanks for your replies !!:wow:

Hey, this could be a few things, some of the easier fixes. Make sure it's tight, meaning tightened down so you eliminate any wobble. And if you get any dried mud or a grease on the fan blades it will be unbalanced and start to wobble also, and you will feel it in the cab. Just my experience, I hope it helps?

i say replace the electric fan, its ether good or bad, and with your symptoms I would says its bad. Call it 100bucks on the outside for a new one, or you could probably get one cheaper if you look

mine is the same way, the blade is cracked.. yumm :puke:

withe the jeep off spin the fan and check for the crack.

mine did the same thing. i took it out and cleaned it. i found there was a small rock jamed in a spot that was throwing the balance off.

months later it did it again but it was mud on it.

On mine, one of the mounting tabs was broken. It decided to jump into the mechanical fan before I could get it fixed. I was going 70 mph at the time. Scared the shiite out of me. Found an oem replacement on line for $130 shipped. Just make sure you get the 10 blade s-blade unit. That one is the most efficient oem replacement.

Thank you all for the quick replies, I bought this for my son who will be turning 16 soon and I was afraid I had a LEMON...Will try all and report back what I find, THX again !!

Same situation here, just got an XJ this week, once in a while got a huge vibration, finally tracked it down to happen when the electric fan came on. found a crack in the fan, have ordered new one.

One of mine(the original aux) had its bearings go a few days ago--It was so loud, I thought the belt was frayed or the p/s pump's bearings were the culprit.

Back