• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Band of Brothers

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
I remember watching this as it came out but I was so young I can barely remember most of it. I went and picked up the DVD set and it's just as amazing as I can remember. This is probobly the all time best WWII series/movie of all time.

x2, one of my all-time favorites.

When I was at Airborne School several years ago, I participated in Nation Airborne Day. I had the chance to meet three of the original members of the first Airborner Platoon, one of which was portrayed in the movie.

Greatest Generation is correct.

own it, love it. best war film/series to date....

mdl said:
but I was so young I can barely remember most of it.

:wierd: It's only like 5 years old, eh? Isn't it? How old is it anyway? Have I dropped some years again? I hate when that happens.

I have a little trouble getting through the 'drama' parts away from the action, but the action is some of the finest. A little too tricky with the camera sometimes but a worthy addition to the collection, nonetheless.

Nor did he try to rescue them? He was basically on probation until after the invasion of Normandy, well after the 101 had joined up with the rest of the allied forces.

Osprey413 said:
Nor did he try to rescue them? He was basically on probation until after the invasion of Normandy, well after the 101 had joined up with the rest of the allied forces.

No, when the 101 was pinned down in Bastonge Patton and the 4th army came storming across Europe to get them. THis was December/January of '44.

XJ Dreamin' said:
I have a little trouble getting through the 'drama' parts away from the action, but the action is some of the finest. A little too tricky with the camera sometimes but a worthy addition to the collection, nonetheless.

If you read Dick Winter's biography, he points out that after seeing the first cut of the series, the veteran's of Easy insisted on changes to the script and the episodes because it was very "hollywood". Some of them got implemented, but unfortunately a lot of that stuff is based on facts, but hollywooded to appeal to a larger audience.

Awsomw DVD set. Certainly an all time favoriteof mine. The interviews with the the men who are still alive were quite moving. Puts alot of things in perspective. If it wasn't for that generation, most of this planet would be speaking German or Japanese. They were all heros whether they admit it or not.

band of brothers is one of my favorite series, however the great escape was also another very good movie.

to see the horrors of the concentration camps, just watch schindlers list...that was an eye opener of a movie.

saving private ryan is good.....and of course everyone loves blackhawk down also.

ladywolf said:
band of brothers is one of my favorite series, however the great escape was also another very good movie.

to see the horrors of the concentration camps, just watch schindlers list...that was an eye opener of a movie.

saving private ryan is good.....and of course everyone loves blackhawk down also.

Don't forget "We were Soldiers" and "Hamburger Hill"

I haven't seen Band Of Brothers yet, (need to, but I am not much of a movie watcher) but did just finish reading Beyond Band Of Brothers: Maj Dick Winters war memoirs... Good stuff!

We Were Soldiers is great (gotta love the tune Sgt MacKenzie... I sometimes jam that up right before hitting a deathy obstacle in the XJ)... so is A Bridge Too Far, Hamburger Hill, Blackhawk Down, and Saving Private Ryan.

I grew up sort of tied to a lot of that history stuff: Dad went to France with the 13th Abn, got mustered out and re-upped for the Korean War in the 11th Abn... that later became the 11th Air Assault, and cadre'd/morphed into the 1st Air Cav (as played out in We Were Soldiers.) Dad's #1 drinking buddy was on the Arnhem jump in the Brit's 1 Para. My best friend's dad and my 6th grade teacher were both WWII 82nd Abn Paratroopers as well. Needless to say I caught a lot of flak when I joined the ( #$%^&* Leg! ) US Cavalry. Supposedly my Platoon Sergeant in Cav Scout BNCOC was in on the Hamburger Hill dealie as a young private... :dunno: for sure, but he did have a 101st patch and a CIB...he did his thing too.

Attoned for that sin later on, but also stayed tied to it some.

All The Way!

Anyone ever seen Sergeant York?
Great movie about a pacifist sharpshooter that gets drafted into WWI and becomes a war hero.

OT said:
Anyone ever seen Sergeant York?
Great movie about a pacifist sharpshooter that gets drafted into WWI and becomes a war hero.

x2

Back